Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team- My SAA BISLEY circa 1906 SN 284xxx has a “T” on the left trigger guard and a “&” on the right trigger guard. Stag grips and scroll design throughout.
Does anybody know what the “T” and “&” symbols mean?
I’ve not seen left/right inspection(?) Mark’s before.
Thank you....

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...and we all are looking forward to some clear photos of both sides of that Bisley.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hi Team- My SAA BISLEY circa 1906 SN 284xxx has a “T” on the left trigger guard and a “&” on the right trigger guard. Stag grips and scroll design throughout.
Does anybody know what the “T” and “&” symbols mean?
I’ve not seen left/right inspection(?) Mark’s before.
Thank you....
At one time one of the Colt books claimed that the "T" stood for Targeting, although I cannot find that reference now. I recently had a Colt SAA 1st gen with the "T", and lettered it. I spoke with Paul at Colt Archives about this Targeting being noted in shipping ledgers. Targeting meant adjusting the sight and included a shot target in the box with the Colt. Paul said that occasionally they see that Targeting was documented in the shipping ledger, but when expected, is usually not documented there. My letter did not mention Targeting.

The "&" means that the gun was returned to Colt for some additional work or repair. The nature of work is usually not documented in the existing Colt records.

As for "scroll design throughout", can you add some pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At one time one of the Colt books claimed that the "T" stood for Targeting, although I cannot find that reference now. I recently had a Colt SAA 1st gen with the "T", and lettered it. I spoke with Paul at Colt Archives about this Targeting being noted in shipping ledgers. Targeting meant adjusting the sight and included a shot target in the box with the Colt. Paul said that occasionally they see that Targeting was documented in the shipping ledger, but when expected, is usually not documented there. My letter did not mention Targeting.

The "&" means that the gun was returned to Colt for some additional work or repair. The nature of work is usually not documented in the existing Colt records.

As for "scroll design throughout", can you add some pictures?
Wow!! Thank you kindly for your guidance and time!
Looks I came to the right place. Once I figure out how to post a picture of the Bisley I will.
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I think that the engraving was added later, but you might want to contact Colt Archives and request a letter. The letter will give to entries in the shipping ledger, including caliber, bbl length, finish, grips, where shipped, and number in shipment. Letters are $100 for standard guns, and possibly more if engraved.

https://coltarchives.com/

1-860-554-8088

1 - 13 of 13 Posts