Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had company this week. A male relative fell in love with a couple of my Colt revolvers. Specifically Colt SAA's.

He lamented that he did not have the resources for one but asked about the myriad of clones out there. To be honest I could not give him an intelligent answer. We looked at Cimarron & Taylor and their Pietta, Uberti etc., with many other variants.

He does not intend to do any Cowboy Action Shooting, just shoot at the range and enjoy the nostalgia of the SAA in .45 LC.

Which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
96 Posts
USFA is certainly the best quality, but it will cost as much as a Colt especially now since they are not made anymore and the prices have jumped. Ihave owned a Pietta and it was not a quality gun, soft and poor quality internal parts. I have looked at some Cimmaron guns and they looked nice and people who own them seem to think that they are the best of the Italian copies.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've had a Cimarron copy for nearly 10 years. It has been completely reliable and accurate for that time. I've only had to replace one spring and that was after my idiot cousin got ahold of it and decided to fire a corbon 45 out of it.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I like the Cimarron too, made by Uberti, but to Cimarron's specs. They are nice guns & a pretty accurate copy. I wouldn't be ashamed of a Cimarron.
Another might be the Ruger New Vaquero, while not a copy they are a very nice six-gun & are as rugged as things get. The New Vaquero is close in size & feels good in the hand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have Uberti Patron and Cimmaron Evil Roy. I like them both. I do have a Colt too. Save your $ buy a Colt. USFA is not making SAAs, you should see their new 22. It's different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You should explain to him that life is way too short to shoot an Italian gun.

A new Uberti will cost $500 or more. If your friend has a little patience and is willing to do some searching, a used 3rd generation Colt SAA can be had for $1000 or slightly more.

I know not everyone has that kind of money to spend, but if he can somehow hold out and find a way to save his lunch money, he will never regret getting the Colt.

If that still is not an option, then I suggest a Ruger Blackhawk, like Colt, it's American made.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What about a Colt Cowboy? It's a Colt, it cost a lot less, and it will not kill you if you drop it when it has a round under the hammer. They are available on Gunbroker.com. I actually don't have a Cowboy. I am just asking.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Inadvisable for a casual SA shooter to invest that much money in a discontinued Cowboy model with little to no parts availability or service.
At the very least, current production clones (NOT AN ASM!) are easy to find parts for. Service too, in most cases.
Denis

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I have a cowboy, cant see any reason to call it a POS, its a great shooting gun, I put a box of 50 through it this weekend without a problem. Never had a problem,I don't baby it, it goes on the four wheeler,in the truck and on the boat and has always worked great. I think they are good for the money. There might be better guns for the money, but this is the only clone I've shot...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've been shooting a Cimarron Model P in .44 Special for awhile now and will recommend that. It is a fine shooting gun, extremely well finished, with case hardened colors only recent Colts can match. It is no better or no worse than a Colt SAA, plus coming with wood grips. Plus it comes from Cimarron with a much better action than the Colts of recent manufacture.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Also, the Taylor & Company Smoke Wagon .45 LC, 5 1/2" Deluxe Edition is a mighty fine pistol that retails for about $650. Again JMHO.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts