Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 3rd gen .45 SAA from the late '70's and have noticed what seems to be an excessive amount of movement in the cylinder. It doesn't appear to be an endshake problem, instead the cylinder seems to be loose in the rotation direction (around the base pin axis). It is almost like the bolt isn't quite large enough to fill in the cylinder notch tightly. Just handling the gun with the hammer down I can hear the cylinder rattle around. When the gun is cocked the cylinder locks up as one would expect.

My guess is that a new, slighlty oversize bolt would fix this. Anyone with any experience with this problem?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
on the s/a guns the hand doesn`t assist the lockup as in the pre 69 d/a`s. if you are comparing it to one of those the lockup will not be the same. is there any lead spitting or other related problems?? i would closely inspect the bolt and locking notches for any signs of modification or damage. a range rod inserted in the bbl should enter the cly. easily at rest or full cock, does it??

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither the bolt nor the cylinder notches appear to be damaged or modified. For what it's worth, the timing still appears to be perfect on this one (no drag marks). The only lead issue I have noticed is lead 'plating' on the front of the cylinder on the non-fluted surfaces, but I have observed this on other SA's with tighter lock-ups after shooting cast bullets.

I haven't checked the cylinder alignment with a rod but that is a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts