Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen references in books to "old style" and "new style" SAA hard rubber eagle stocks. I would appreciate seeing some photos of any variations in these stocks over the years. I am aware that some first gen guns had a version of these and, of course, they are the standard stocks on 3rd gen guns. I looked for a "sticky" with such photos but couldn't find one.
Thanks,
Buckspen

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just a quick point of clarification, the modern Eagle grips/stocks are some kind of plastic, not hard rubber. Colt changed the grip material when they changed to the current Eagle design. The plastic eagle grips have a somewhat shinier (sp?) appearance than the earlier non-eagle hard rubber grips; I much prefer the look of the earlier grips.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Ah yah, Buck wants the evolution of the 1st gen hard rubber. Correct?
I thought he wanted pics of the subtle design changes of the eagles over the generations.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, let me ask the question another way. What was the first usage of the eagle stocks on 2nd generation SAA's? According to Don Wilkerson's books, they were introduced in 1970. However, Condry & Jones book on the Colt commemoratives shows eagle stocks on the Bat Masterson revolver which was issued in 1967. They describe the stocks as ""checkered rubber grips with "old style" eagle"". Unfortunately, the photo in the book is not clear enough to really show the details. Does anyone know the difference, if any, between the stocks on the Bat Masterson guns and the later eagle stocks?

Rick - By the way, I can't get your first photo to load. I suspect that this may be due to the current difficulties with the forum. I am certainly have my share of troubles when trying to log on or to post a message.

- Buckspen

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is an Old-Colt’s post from 6-16-2015 that shows three different 1st gen grips but only one of them is an eagle grip.
The other two pics are non-eagle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts