Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you gents have any experience fitting a new ejector tube to a SAA? Local gunsmith won't touch it and I rather not ship it anywhere.

It looks like a relatively simple job IF I had the right tool and took my time. Is anyone familiar with the type of tool / process that Colt or gunsmiths use to do this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Be more specific! Is the stud in the barrel? Is the stud threaded correctly?? If BOTH of these are true,then it is simply making sure that the rear tab is in the ejector rod hole in front of frame,spring is NOT minding and then screw in-but don't over tighten,as these threads are delicate. I suspect,that your must have a missing stud(there are several styles or that the threads are gone??)

I always get a kick when I hear some "expert" talk about "turning the barrel" of a SAA to get the proper windage for the front sight,like Mike Venturino!

Seen this done,fine,but then one guy kept wondering why is ejector tube assembly kept flying off under recoil!!! 'Cause it WASN"T straight! And eventaully it pulled the pressed in stud for the tube out of the barrel,

The press in ones required a tool,and I have seen others "soldered in"-BUT in BOTH scenarios,the gunsmith has to know what he is doing.

Good Luck!

Bud

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I wasn't more specific. No problems at all with the stud in the barrel. What I need to do is fit a brand new ejector tube to the gun (the old tube is damaged). The underside of the ejector tube screw hole needs to be 'reamed out' (for lack of a better term) to fit over the barrel stud.

My question: What is the best way to ream out the underside of the ejector tube screw hole so that it will fit correctly? Is there a particular tool used by Colt and gunsmiths to accomplish this?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you have a micrometer,measure the diameter of the "stud". The find a drill bit the same diameter,or just a few thousands larger,and carefully ream out the ejector rod "hole" going "slowly,and NOT too DEEP. You just want a snug fit with the contour of the barrel and reverse contour of backside of ejector tube.

A snug fit is necessary to prevent this ejector assembly from moving during recoil and damaging/pulling stud loose from the barrel. If it is loose,it will "bounce" on recoil,and it is really only the stud,that holds it on,as rear of tube just slides into the frame about 1/8".

You could use a small round file,but I'd be afraid of NOT getting a truly round hole in the ejector tube.

By the Way(BTW),one English author,denouncing the Colt SAA,in an English firearms book,over a century ago,saw this "insufficent retention of the ejector rod assembly tube",as one of the MANY BAD POINTS,of what he termed "a very ordinary,simple,and primitive revolver,that is more reputation than reality"! Yup;he was Webley-Greene man!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts