Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks, I have the opportunity to buy this SAA (I will include as many pictures as I can). It looks like a solid gun, but the frame serial number and grip frame numbers are exactly one digit off. The frame serial number is 149461, but the grip frame and all other numbers are 159,461. I find it hard to believe someone found a grip frame that is exactly one digit off. To me, the overall condition of each part match and it looks like each part has "worn" with the rest of the gun. It is chambered in 38-40, and the barrel has strong lands and grooves with a bit of pitting here and there. I would say the barrel is in 75 percent condition.

Has anyone seen a similar Colt? Would Colt send out a gun with this mistake, or did someone win the lottery and find a near matching grip frame and attach it to the receiver? Here are a couple of other questions I have:

The barrel is 4 3/4 inch. Does the barrel muzzle contour look correct? Is this cut down, or do you think it is factory?

The loading gate number is 534.......is this heat number correct, or should it be matching?

The cylinder does not have the serial number on the face. Are there any markings I should be looking for?

Is there anything that looks off or not correct that I should be aware of?

What do you think would be a real world value?

The owner of my LGS let me take this home tonight and do some research. Pretty much...your opinions and thoughts will help guide me to or away from this purchase. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. My computer is slow, so I have to upload pictures one at a time. If you folks need any more pictures, I would love to upload them.

Thanks everyone........I will put a couple of pictures here, and then add them as my computer allows
IMG_0578.jpg IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0577.jpg IMG_0580.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I would think the TG and BS numbers are just an error by a factory workman. Hard to think someone found a Triggerguard and BackStrap exactly 10000 numbers off and put those on the gun.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
2 line address, so bbl is original 4 3/4. Loading gate # is an assembly number which should match the same number on the bottom of frame. I don't think cylinder should be numbered in this range. I'm guessing factory mis-number.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nice looking Colt. I would venture to guess, looking at the rest of the numbers, that whatever workman was applying the number to the frame grabbed a 4 instead of a 5 when stamping. Be interesting which number letters to match it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks real nice to me. The two line address on the top of the barrel was used on 4 3/4 inch barrels.

I wonder what the Colt historian would charge? My guess is that the frame number is correct. A difference of 10,000 might be enough for a real expert to make a determination.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was really worried about that barrel length. I read somewhere that there were 4 3/4 inch barrels and then another source told me that it was not original and likely a rebarrel. Any guess as to a value? I am hoping for a real world estimate. What would you folks be comfortable paying for this piece?

Oh...a couple of more questions. It looks like there is some case color inside the yolk. Do you think this is a factory blue frame or would it have been case colored?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice looking Colt. I would venture to guess, looking at the rest of the numbers, that whatever workman was applying the number to the frame grabbed a 4 instead of a 5 when stamping. Be interesting which number letters to match it.
I agree. Other than the 4/5 all of the other numbers look identical right down to the slant. But, if you find Wyatt Earp owned 149461 and nobody important owned 159461, I'd go with the opposite story.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does the cylinder look correct?

Also, I have been trying to research the quantity of guns that 4 3/4 inch barrels in the early SAA. Is this a rare option, or am I just searching in the wrong places?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also just took the grips off the gun. They are lightly scribed 1461.....as if they didn't even know what to do with the "49" or "59" in the middle. It is just weird.....really weird and strange gun.

I sure do hope someone talks me into buying this! I have one suggestion of 2200 dollars. Is that the consensus amongst you gurus?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It's likely 159461, as all numbers except for the frame are such. If you letter it I would go with that.

Cylinders were not numbered from 1883 to 1912, Civilian production.

Being .38-40 with little condition, I would think $2000 would be tops on this one. $3000 is way too much!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
$2200 you suggest you might offer. Only if you want it really, really badly. I wouldn't...

Just so you know, if you intend to fire, BLACKPOWDER ONLY!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought it would be worth a little more in the good overall condition and the 4 3/4 inch barrel. Thanks for the help everyone...much appreciated. Is the current edition of the Blue Book just waaaaaayy off?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
3000 is too much as everyone has said. 2000 is a fair price. The gun has zero finish and a frosted patina. 38-40 is loved by but not by all.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
In my neighborhood, 2500.00 tops. It's unbuffed but good condition is a bit of a stretch as i see no hint of any finish remaining. Nothing at Colt happened suddenly but I question the grips. Books say 163xxx range was the change from eagles to plain. As these have a non matching serial I suspect not original although they seem to fit well. Frame serial and grip serial being non matching could be a bargaining point. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts