Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do all original blue finish guns have a case colored frames? What about the Frontier six shooters? The reason I ask is when I am looking at pictures online, if the frame looks blue I am assuming it has been refinished. Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Original flat top target single actions in blue are completely blued but I've never seen a standard framed single action army letter as full blue.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Some of the Post-War SAAs were finished in full blue. Not many. There were a few 3rd Generation New Frontiers that were full blue also. As noted above, some of the rare Pre-War SAA Flattop Target versions were finished in full blue. In some of the auction pictures the lighting in the photos makes it look like the frame is blued when it is just dark Color Casehardening. On older guns the Color Casehardening can fade out until it almost matched the aged worn blue. Generally, if I see a blued frame on a SAA I assume re-finish until credible evidence proves otherwise.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I believe that most if not all Flat Top Targets sent to England had blued frames.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I talked to Colt a while back about this. Colt shipped some SAA's with blue frame but they just letter as blue like the case hardened ones do. So I guess you have to judge each gun individually as to refinish or not, I believe Kopec, Graham and Moore also say some SAA's were shipped with blue frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a all blue SAA that was a part of a special run in 1977. There is a thread concerning this on this forum.

- Bill

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
hwjhfs, or others, after reviewing this 1984 advertisement for the Custom Shop "Full Blue" SAAs, I was wondering if I have interpreted the data correctly. I ask this in connection with an opportunity I have to acquire a NIB Model P1871, which has a 7 1/2", .45, full blue configuration. I do not yet know if the stocks are wooden with medallions or rubber. I assume they are hard rubber.

The paragraph above the chart seems to quote Wilkerson and indicates that 695 units of model P1871 (7 1/2" .45 full blue) were produced by Colt prior to the 1984 "Custom Shop clean off of shelves". I understand that these 695 units would have been a part of the late 1977 production of a number of full blue SAAs in various configurations. Now, in reading the chart, it indicates that another 44 of full blue, 7 1/2" .45 Colt SAAs had been produced and given a distinct Model Number: P1870FB. I know I must be missing something, and am likely confused about the configuration of the two Models (P1871 and P1870FB). Are they the same gun? Would it be correct to conclude that a total of 724 (695 + 44) SAAs in this configuration were produced, albeit with dissimilar Model Numbers?

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you!

From 1984:

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The P1871 model was shipped with Wood stocks with and some without Gold Medallions. In about 1982, for some reason the model number 1870FB was applied to the Custom Shop cleanup guns of the same configuration. From what I can discern in Wilkerson book on the 3rd Generation SAAs the P1871 and P1879FB are the same configuration. The "FB" at the end of the serial number stands for "fluted" and "full blue."

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I wish I could help. To me it does sound as if an additional 44 fluted blue in .45 X 7 1/2" were sold after the 695 block was produced. I can only guess why there are two different model numbers and that would be the polish of the finish (regular blue vs royal blue) or the type of stocks supplied with the models (wood vs HR). I do not know what finish or stocks were on each model and am only suggesting reasons for the different model numbers. Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
The P1871 model was shipped with Wood stocks with and some without Gold Medallions. In about 1982, for some reason the model number 1870FB was applied to the Custom Shop cleanup guns of the same configuration. From what I can discern in Wilkerson book on the 3rd Generation SAAs the P1871 and P1879FB are the same configuration. The "FB" at the end of the serial number stands for "fluted" and "full blue."
Thank you very much for the thorough and rapid response.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Some forum member has a SAA with high polish full blue finish and Ivory stocks. Makes for a really beautiful looking SAA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts