Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me when the two different SAA front sights were used i.e. years, special order, luck of the draw etc. Below photos from the sticky Subtle Changes in the Colt SAA.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess that's the reason that the display doesn't give a date, no one seems to know when the small were used on a new SAA?
Dennis

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Well I guess that's the reason that the display doesn't give a date, no one seems to know when the small were used on a new SAA?
Dennis
Wow, I see that you asked this question 24 hours ago, and no reply! Maybe that speaks volumes as to how badly this website has been harmed by new admin. The silence, is almost deafening.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
[QUOTE

That label for #39 and #39 is accurate. I can add that #38 is normally 0.52" x 0.29" tall, and #39 is 0.62" x 0.35" tall (1911-12). By about 1930 the top of #39 became much thicker, like the 2nd Gen guns.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, my error I was going by the shape and not the measurements. My CFSS is midway for 1882, #83433 and front sight is .292 tall and .511 long certainly within measurement error (mine) of your measurements.

Am curious, is the early sight shaped like the later. Mine seems to be shaped like the sight shown as the later style. The photo of the early style seems to almost have a round top, not quite but pretty close.

Sorry to have so many questions.
Dennis

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sorry, my error I was going by the shape and not the measurements. My CFSS is midway for 1882, #83433 and front sight is .292 tall and .511 long certainly within measurement error (mine) of your measurements.

Am curious, is the early sight shaped like the later. Mine seems to be shaped like the sight shown as the later style. The photo of the early style seems to almost have a round top, not quite but pretty close.

Sorry to have so many questions.
Dennis
I think that the later post 1912 sights have more of a flat top. Some of the early sights that are replaced (or on new barrels) look too rounded to me. Also too tall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts