Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents- if you sent a grip maker a set of grips from a SA revolver- could he produce a set of grips that would fit the gun, the grips came off of- using the original grips as a pattern?

I don't want to deal with the confusion of sending a revolver out of California.

Think there are some grip makers here- like to get some advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Gents- if you sent a grip maker a set of grips from a SA revolver- could he produce a set of grips that would fit the gun, the grips came off of- using the original grips as a pattern?

I don't want to deal with the confusion of sending a revolver out of California.

Think there are some grip makers here- like to get some advice.

Thanks!
No,they can be made close but never like they should fit.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I am a rank newbe to Colt SAA's, the info and help you can find here, in every area- is super great!

Jim Martin and the other "senior" members here are the grand master's of Colt thumb busters.!

thanks!

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
As a newbie do you have the proper tools and skill to remove the gripframe without causing damage?

Be aware that the finish on the gripframe can be damaged by careless grip fitters.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
It's not rocket science but it requires the correct screwdrivers.
Mr. Bowles is correct but since I am obsessed with turning screws I will add the following:

I would add that laying cloth on the gun is good insurance against 'oops'.

Plus I make a card with holes so that they go back in the same holes.

Remove the mainspring BEFORE loosening the (3) trigger guard screws. I also chamfer all bits to avoid gouging the holes.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Here's an advantage when using these screwdrivers,U can use a crescent wrench on the square shaft of the screwdriver which makes it a power screwdriver for removing difficult screws.
Jim is 100% corrrect about using a cresent wrench on the square shaft, I have done it a number of times and it works. Before doing it, I soak the screw overnight with Kroil, then clamp the revolver is a padded vise, set the screwdriver in the slot, tap the wood handle on the top with a plastic mallet a few times to provide some vibration to the screw, put the cresent wrench in place, hold downward pressure on the screwdriver handle and begin to twist, release and re-twist as needed. doing this you won't damage the screw head or the the screwdriver tip. Once in a while, you may have to put more Kroil and let it soak longer and try again, it will come loose.

In addition, if you have a friend to help hold eveything, it is a little easier with that "third hand", LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I purchased the screwdrivers mentioned by Abwehr , sometime after joining this forum, before that I only had a set of Chapman screwdrivers and tips.

Great knowledge on this Forum, Thanks to all that contribute.

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts