Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of the black plastic factory grips, new in the bag, that I took out of my safe, and tried to mount on my New Frontier 44.

The darned things have no "locator" hole for the pin on the frame, and they stick out over the edge of the grip frame.

I'm guessing they need to be "fitted".

I have no clue how to do this.

Any ideas? How does a person "fit" them without screwing them up.

Or would anybody be interested in them?

They are new, in Colt marked bag, with the eagle and the pony.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I haven't fitted the hard rubber stocks, but have fitted wood and micarta 1-piece stocks. The procedure should basically be the same.

The idea is to install the grips in the appropriate position and remove all material that exceeds the dimensions of the grip frame. If your stocks don't have locater pins this will be somewhat more difficult.

Here's what I would do: The front and top square surfaces (near the pony) are your reference points, as they won't change. Remove the locater pin from your grip frame and position one of the stocks in place using the square surfaces. Use a lead or scribe to mark the location of the locating pin. Repeat for the other side. Re-install the locater pin into the grip frame. Using the appropriate size bit, drill the locator pin holes for both stocks.

Mount the stocks onto the gripframe using your grip screw. Assuming everything was done correctly they should line up right on the square surfaces with extra material sticking out everywhere else on the frame. Mark the gripframe edges on the stocks using a pencil. Remove the stocks and using progressively finer sandpaper sand the stocks down to the reference line. As you get close to the lines, re-mount the stocks check the fit. You can also use women's fingernail sanding files for sanding. The final step is to 'polish' the stocks either using ultra-fine sandpaper or steel wool to match the factory finish of the hard rubber.

Some folks keep the stocks on the gripframe and tape the gripframe up when sanding. This would probably work but man watch out for the finish.

It probably sounds harder than it is. They key is PATIENCE and lots of trial fitting.

Of course, if you don't want them I could always use another set. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all thumbs when it comes to fine tolerances.

I'll probably stick with the wood grips that are on it, and sell these.

Drop me an e-mail if you want them, and we can talk.

[email protected]

Otherwise, I'll have to get the courage to mess witth them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts