Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I would like some faux ivory grips for my brand new Model P1840 .45. I purchased this gun 2-3 years ago from a dealer who special ordered it from Davidsons for me. The serial number S64XXXA does not appear in any of the usual lookup publications, and I am not a Colt expert, so I just assumed it was a 3rd Generation and purchased grips advertised as fitting 3rd Generation only. They were waaay too big for my gun. Fitting would have required completely reshaping the entire grip. Seller said send em back with grip tracing of factory grips. I did and he says mine is a 2nd Generation grip. He has sent replacements that are on the way. I then compared the factory grips to those on a "known" (serial number fits 1979) 3rd Generation and the grips on S64XXXA Colt are larger than those on the known 3rd Generation.

So my S64XXXA's grips are larger than the grips 3rd Generation gun I own, smaller than the ones that the dealer sent as being 3rd Generation only and the tracings match those that the grip dealer says are 2nd Generations. I guess any future grip purchases will include requesting the seller to match them against tracings of the grips I wish to replace prior to parting with the moola. I hate paying shipping costs more than once. :bang_wall:

Questions

Was I correct in assuming it was a 3rd Gen? Did Colt use 2nd Gen grip frames on 3rd Gen guns? Is there a 4th Gen? :confused::confused:

Hope you can help this rookie.

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Although there are subtle difference between generational grip frames, the fact is that ALL grip panels have to be fitted to the Frames of Colt SAA's for proper fit and finish...Although you may get lucky.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Your serial number indicates that your gun was made in the last few years. And, if it came from Davidson's, I would expect that it was brand new when you bought it 2-3 years ago. (The highest SAA serial number I have is S39XXXA and the gun was made in year 2000.) So it's a third generation gun.

As Kid Sopris says in his post above, all Colt SAA grips need to be fitted to the individual gun. If the grips are too large, they can be fitted. That's why, when you buy new unfitted grips, they should not have the holes for the grip pin pre-drilled. This should be done when the grips are fitted.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
280 Posts
JLB, I believe from the info I have, your SAA was born in early 2011, Out of sequence frames were used starting in 2007 with the factory using two different vendors to catch up on frames.SN S53000A was the start of this action. ALL SAA guns in my feeble and humble opinion need to be fitted to the gun itself, I have 4 3RD Gen guns all in the same caliber , a 1992, 2005, 2007 and a 2011, none of the grips from these guns are interchangeable. As I understand it the difference in the grip frame is because different assemblers hand sand and polish the frame to remove the machine marks and thus the different sizes are inherent

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I knew that the grips might need some fitting but I did not expect a major reshaping. The grips I got were nearly 3/16" wider at the heel of the grip than the ones on the gun from Colt. Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully the replacements will be close enough that some careful sanding and smoothing around the edges will do the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts