Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '62 New Frontier that appears to have hand checkered walnut grips with no medalion. I assume they are not factory, and will replace them with factory grips, but first I thought I should check with the Forum to be sure I wasn't misinformed. Any chance they are factory?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Ok..there is a disparity in your description if you are talking about a .22 caliber. There is a Frontier Scout '62 Series with a P in the serial number (IE: 8100P) and there was not a New Frontier produced until 1970 that had a G series, L series (rarer) and a G(S) series with a cross bolt (1982). The '62 Frontier Scout shipped with 'StagLite" with nickel medallion inserts. There were some special order stocks but these are relatively few according to Wilkerson's book. What is the stamping on your barrel?

The New Frontier (1961-1975) will be chambered in .357 magnum, .45 Colt, .44 special. rare .38 special and even a few in .44-40. Standard stocks/grips were walnut on these.

My first instinct when you said '62 New Frontier was immediately Frontier Scout and I needed to clarify the New Frontier at the end. I hope I didn't confuse you as much as I started confusing myself :)

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
The correct stocks for a New Frontier made in 1962 (a 2nd Generation gun) would be smooth Walnut with Silver medallions. I don't think there were any 2nd Generation New Frontiers in .44/40.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts