Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
There are minor manufacturing variances from gun to gun in the backstraps and triggerguards of Colt SAAs, therefore the stocks are individually fitted to each gun. You might find that the stocks that you purchase off the web might not fit as well as you would like. As an example, a few months ago I picked up an early 1st gen with horrible after market stocks; fortunately in my parts box I had a couple of sets of 2nd gen stocks, an early set without the eagles, and a late set with the eagles. When I tried them, the early set was slightly too narrow and the edges of the backstrap and triggerguard were exposed; while the later stocks were a little larger and fit pretty well with just some minor fitting at the bottom and the corners of the BS & TG.

Where ever you buy them from, try to make sure that you can return them if they are a little too small for the grip frame of you SAA.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
I have about 20 extra sets of the 3rd gen SAA grips with the eagle. Whenever I buy a SAA that needs a better set of grips, I can easily go through all 20 sets trying to get a perfect fit. In the end, I usually have to revert to drilling the alignment holes out to be able to get the grips to fit the gripstrap properly. Then I have to put oil around the alignment pins (release agent) and fill the holes with black epoxy resin and place the grips on the gun in proper alignment. I then hold them in place with a rubber band and allow the epoxy to harden; remove the grips and clean up around the alignment pins.
If the epoxy seeps out and causes the grips to get stuck, that is where the Rampage comes in. Actually, the secret is to allow the epoxy to set up somewhat before putting the grips in place.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have about 20 extra sets of the 3rd gen SAA grips with the eagle. Whenever I buy a SAA that needs a better set of grips, I can easily go through all 20 sets trying to get a perfect fit. In the end, I usually have to revert to drilling the alignment holes out to be able to get the grips to fit the gripstrap properly. Then I have to put oil around the alignment pins (release agent) and fill the holes with black epoxy resin and place the grips on the gun in proper alignment. I then hold them in place with a rubber band and allow the epoxy to harden; remove the grips and clean up around the alignment pins.
If the epoxy seeps out and causes the grips to get stuck, that is where the Rampage comes in. Actually, the secret is to allow the epoxy to set up somewhat before putting the grips in place.
Saintclair:I've been using Brownells Bedding compound for the alignment holes for probably 30 or more years,& also w/ a releasing agent,it's easy to work with,don't fill the hole all the way up,only about 1/2 way then put one side @ a time on the gun,easier to hold in place & let it cure for @ least 8 hrs. when u do the other side repeat the process but this time secure the other grip panel w/the screw in place to hold it,that way when your all done u know that the screw holes will be lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I just foujd out from a PM from "coltsixguns" that my SAA should NOT have the Eagle on the grips. I had read in one of my books that my serial number, 150XXX should have the Eagle, but now I know the book was wrong and should NOT have the Eagle! Thanks to "coltsixguns" for clearing this up for me!!!

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Johnnybuck, I have quite a few sets of the non-eagle (and eagle) 1st generation grips which I keep in case I need them for future acquisitions. I suspect many of the Forum members also stockpile such items. In recent years the prices that these original grips bring on the open market has risen greatly. I hope you are able to locate a pair that will compliment your SAA.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
A BIG Thanks to "swamprat" for his very generous offer for a set of SAA grips like I need! I received photos and they are exactly what I need for the "Old Girl". The worn checkering is a perfect fit for a well used SAA. Thanks Again "swamprat" and a PM was sent this morning to finalize the deal!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry not to have gotten back sooner; however, I am out of State. When I get back I'll send you picture. You most like would not be interested as these are plastic and imitation horn or stag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks

What are "Colt Rampage" grips. By any chance do you mean "rampant colt"?
Your astute observation is well defined. Of course the correct name is Rampant Colt. I did have to go to my Rapley to help me determine the origin. My exuberance in finding this SAA just got out of hand. Any future help you can give a pore old backwoods country boy will be appreciated. Most of my collection predates the single actions with the exception of a few Bisleys. The help that you provided is so much more appreciated than those who might have felt the need to add unnecessary negative remarks. I must consider their illness of Cephalo preternatura anulosis as being a contributing factor to their bad manners.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.