Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How were/are the hammers finished on case-hardened/blued Single Action Armies? Hardened? Blued? White? Did this change over time? I am asking about the basic gun - nothing custom made. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Greetings jhe888: All of mine (2nd's; 3rd's .22 Peacemakers and .22 New Frontiers) are polished sides and blued edges. HTH
steelsmith

·
Registered
154 Posts
First gen SAA were color case hardened untill about 1935 and then went to blued with bright polished sides untill the end of production in 1940. Some produced after 1935 would still have cc-hardened hammers as old parts were used up, likewise for the prewar/postwar guns assembled after WW2. Almost all of the 2nd and 3rd gen SAA hammers have bright polished sides with the exception of some Commemoratives and a fairly recent run of Doug Turnbull guns.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's not a real SAA, but I have one of the Doug Turnbull Cowboy Classic revolvers, with the pre-war bluing and full bone case coloring. It is truly a work of art. To me, the fully case hardened hammer makes the piece by blending the rear of the frame together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts