Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in a discussion on another forum regarding the hammer spur preference on Single Action revolvers, Colt and all. Two schools of thought here, standard high hook narrow spur, versus a lowered wide beavertail spur. There are custom smiths who will put a modified Bisley spur on Single Actions, plus those who go with the spur similar to a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Others are equally adamant to go with the stock hammer spur of the Colt SAA. I know fast draw enthusiasts employ a radically different spur for their sport.

How about ya'll? Which do you prefer, and why?

Bob Wright

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I had started out shooting a Bisley, likely that would be my preference, but years of handling the standard hammer/grip have conditioned me so that anything else feels alien, awkward. To my mind, another factor favoring the old narrow, high angle spur is that a leather thong from the holster secures the piece well but peels off easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the feel of the high hook spurs. I feel like they give me more leverage with their shape, but It's probably not significant enough to matter.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
SIX ONE HALF DOZEN ANOTHER, BOB !! I have 'em both boys and every stop in between and pay no attention to 'em anymore; cock gun press trigger.

·
Registered
769 Posts
For cowboy action I have Super Redhawk hammers on my Vaqueros (similar to Bisleys) to use in competition. Lower for thumbing the hammer when firing. For my Colts I prefer the originals.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hammer requirements vary for cowboy fast draw, world fast draw & CAS. I use standard Colts for mounted shooting ( my choice ). They are a reach for my thumb. Try it...... cock & shoot 5 times as fast as you can. After a while it's a struggle after the 3rd round, for my hands.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For cowboy action I have Super Redhawk hammers on my Vaqueros (similar to Bisleys) to use in competition. Lower for thumbing the hammer when firing. For my Colts I prefer the originals.
Uh, I think you mean Blackhawk?

Done that, typed faster than I was thinking!

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I am smitten with the custom shop option of the hand checkered wide spur hammer they offer, and ordered it on the last two SAA and the last New Frontier I received......I don't think I can go back to the standard hammer.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
High hammer for two hand shooting and low hammer for one hand shooting. Original hammer that came with the gun for collecting. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
High hammer for two hand shooting and low hammer for one hand shooting. Original hammer that came with the gun for collecting. :)
I'll second that

Bisley style, low-wide ones where quick shots might be encountered out in the bush, where one hand is likely going to make for reflex shooting and a couple quick ones might need to go bang ... but the longer original spurs for two handed more precise style non-rushed shooting. Although I'd admit once using the lower Bisley styles they're so slick it's tough to want the longer ones afterwards regardless the discipline!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Any of the standard 1st or 2nd gen. fixed firing pin hammers for the SAA, and the Bisley style hammer on the Bisley, but not grafted onto an SAA.

Best regards,

·
Registered
342 Posts
Every single action I own, except for the TLA guns which have lower hammers standard, wears a bisley spurred hammer. New and old model Rugers, USFA and even the custom Colt New Frontier I had. The unavailability of a bisley spurred hammer on the new Standard Manufacturing is the only thing stopping me from owning one of them. Shoot, I even have a bisley hammer on a Freedom arms! Personal preference I guess and since I don't own a stock revolver but am a custom fan I don't worry about collector value.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Was in a discussion on another forum regarding the hammer spur preference on Single Action revolvers, Colt and all. Two schools of thought here, standard high hook narrow spur, versus a lowered wide beavertail spur. There are custom smiths who will put a modified Bisley spur on Single Actions, plus those who go with the spur similar to a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Others are equally adamant to go with the stock hammer spur of the Colt SAA. I know fast draw enthusiasts employ a radically different spur for their sport.

How about ya'll? Which do you prefer, and why?

Bob Wright
I've always liked the high hammer. The Colt's made in the '60's had that funky looking low rounded hammer. I have 10 Colt SAA's. If I ever buy one made in the '60's the first thing I would do is change the hammer

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I had one of the USFA Double Eagles. It had a Bisley hammer spur, but the rest of the hammer was standard. I loved that hammer configuration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shoot one handed in sass and was wondering where to find a lowered hammer for my 3rd gen colts without ruining the originals.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If I had started out shooting a Bisley, likely that would be my preference, but years of handling the standard hammer/grip have conditioned me so that anything else feels alien, awkward.
Me, too. Even if a Bisley spur on a SAA felt phenomenal I would never have one welded onto one of my SAA’s hammers. I’m just too used to automatically throwing my thumb up to cock again right after firing and recoil is happening. Like me being left handed and too conditioned to right handed scissors, auto .22 rifles thst spit empty cases pass my face and a million other things I’ve adapted to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts