Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How 'bout sharing some pictures of SAA holsters you have that might be of interest to others.
Holsters that: dress up your SAA, oldies from times past, for use in the field, unique or ya jus' like 'em.
Be sure to share 'bout the reason you like/prefer the particular leather rig, k'.
One preferred SAA field holster was from Lawrence Leather Goods, their Model 120 - aka: Sixguns by Keith.
It's compact, holds the SA up close n' out of the way for most field conditions, while allowing quick access.
Colt shown is a 1958 .44 Special.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
That is a great gun and a true classic holster for it. It looks a little different than Elmer's because it curves down in front of the hammer. I think his is higher in front even maybe covering his rear adjustable sights. I made this rig in 1992 and just had to restitch the tongue billet out aways because I went from 34" to 36" since then. It's very comfortable and light weight. Belt lined with soft suede type stuff. I've worn this camping and hiking around a lot. That's a 1958 .44 Special in it, too.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Wm. Brown Holster Co., Tombstone, AZ

Wm. Brown Holster Company in Tombstone, AZ made this rig for my Colt Frontier Six Shooter. The gun-belt has an internal area to hide/transport paper money and other valuable documents. This came in handy because most Old West cowboys lacked pants pockets. My Colt was made in 1881, the same year as the "Gunfight in the OK Corral." Placing it in an authentic Old West holster made in Tombstone only adds to the history of this piece.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I roll with my Jesse James rig. I like the simple nature of the holsters and belt. Here's one of my holsters, I call it 5.0 because it's my 5th attempt at improving my personal holsters but looks like I will need at least a 6.0 and a 7.0 before I am totally happy. I'll probably take some design liberties on my next one, just so some areas are not so bland. That's why the colt and pony are there.

20180807_011832.jpg 20180807_011850.jpg

And of course every good Jesse rig requires the belt:

belt.jpg

I'll have to make another when I drop some pounds I gained so the bullet count will drop by ten or more LOL. I think it's like in the 40s right now.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Back in the 80's I bought my first centerfire SAR a Ruger black hawk- I was spending to much of my pay check on 45 ACP, and thought I would slow my rate of fire and have longer shooting sessions and save money. Sent for a El Paso #88, works real good and now use it for a Colt SAA. It's not to loose for the Colt. The old version of the "Combat 88" had a steel liner you could squeeze to fit. No bueno the new ones do not but they are still great holsters. Also like their #77 Tortilla holster for the SAA.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WB, nice work on the tooling. Yep, any .44 Special is 'Special'. I understand on the length of the belt. It's always amazed me how leather can shrink over the years! Been there, done that myself!
Ruster: Splendid setup and compliments your 1st Gen 1881 model nicely AND made in Tombstone as well.
Ugly: a fine n' practical holster, thanks. I'll post a similar later on.

In the late 1970's El Paso Saddlery was offering some limited edition holster/belt rigs. I bought a couple, then at a g/show in the late 1980's came across this rig in a box of leather the owner was parting with. He too experienced the shrinkage of leather in some of his belts!
This rig is 1 of 25 El Paso Saddlery O.K. Corral Centennial, offered at the time, believe the price then was $250, mucho dinero for a holster/belt setup like this back then - a bit up there even today, but not for a floral carved rig. The stamp on the holster n' belt both read: SPANGENBERG, GUNSMITH, TOMBSTONE, A.T. The buckle is engraved with: Oct. 26, 1881 TOMBSTONE, A.T. The belt is a 'money belt', Ruster has spoken of money belts above. The belt fits me and does get outdoors now n' then. The Colt SAA is a 3rd Gen, the previous owner having had some cosmetic work done on it - a nice touch, not too gawdy. Near as a couple woodworking/knife making friends can figure, the grips may be palm wood?

Appreciation for those sharing on holsters, I'm sure we'll all learn from this...
Think I'll go dig out some more!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Now n' then one finds lil' treasures out there.
This S.D. Myres, built back in the day when most of our grandparents still wore suit coats around town.
It would certainly fulfill the purpose of carrying a 4 3/4" Colt when in town on business, nestled beneath a suit coat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
This is my favorite two-gun rig. The holsters and belt are stamped on the back "MADE IN U.S.A COLT DESIGNED BY ARVO OJALA PAT NO 2832519". It fits Colt Frontier Scout .22 LR revolvers and the cartridige loops are sized for .22 LR. I even take it out of the wall case and use it from time to time.
- Buckspen
new22b.jpg

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Arvo Ojala leather not easy to come by anymore.
Have been on the scout for one of his belts to complete a 1958 buntline holster.
I have this Ojala hanging in my closet. I don't have a buntline, though.

This one is very comfortable and pretty practical.

Someone mentioned the Jesse James holster. I made a couple for people but for colt Officer's models. Here's a black one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a number of rigs for my Colts which I really enjoy and use. First is by Slickbald Custom for my custom shop engraved, ivory New Frontier.
Slickbald custom NF rig 002c.jpg
Next is by Trailrider Leather for CAS (based on frontier military leather).
Trailrider custom rig 001.JPG
Number three is a Mernickle rig for CAS competition.
Mernickle SASS rig 002.JPG
Number four is an El Paso Saddlery Patton Rig for a New Frontier.
El Paso Saddlery Patton rig 001.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When riding a 4-wheeler or at times a 4-legged and while hiking with a backpack on a crossdraw holster was the preferred method of carry.
Around 1975 I wrote to Roy Baker for one of his Pancake holsters and had him reverse the snap closure to the exposed leather tab was on the outside of my body. For with it on the left side/next to my body in crossdraw mode you had to unsnap the holding strap with your right thumb as you drew the SA...putting your thumb on the left side of the hammer, thus requiring you to roll your thumb around to the right side of the hammer to cock the SA. By reversing the holding strap/snap arrangement to the outside/right side of holster when wearing it, as you drew the SA with your right hand (holster on my left side) your thumb popped the snap, your thumb was then on the right side of the hammer and as you drew the SA from the holster your thumb was in the position to cock the hammer and put your SA into service, all in one smooth motion. That holster works as well today as it did back then.

I explored other options with a crossdraw for use with a SA, which led me to communication with Milt Sparks, Idaho City at the time. He agreed to build a crossdraw holster with his screwretention system. It took him over a year to get the holster made, as he said he had a hard time finding a Colt SAA to work with for proper fitting. I'm not sure Sparks made too many Colt SAA holsters during his time? It's a fine holster, but just never went to using it much in the field, so it is still rather pristine. The holster was/is a good design, but I'd then moved on to using the holster shown in my next Post.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ColtSAA3G: quality looking leather there. The military/slim jim styles have their own aura. Use to use one similar when participated with SASS (Single Action Spending Society) in Alaska, back in the 90's. We only used 1 handgun then and did not draw from the leather while on line, rather set the handgun in front of us n' picked off a table. Nope, SASS/CAS rules weren't all that much in place back then.

As a young sprout my dad had a couple of Lawrence Leather Goods holsters for the 2 handguns he had, so was introduced to LLG before I was 6 years old. Often their latest catalog could be found in my pile of High School books! Have had a preference for them ever since.
I've used their Model 120 since the late 1960's and especially their Model 100 half-flap holster. In '69 provided a home for a new Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" .44 magnum. Trying to use/draw that fine old SA from a holster on my right hip 'bout gave me cramps! So I began using their Model 100, positioned on my left side, butt facing to the front. This allowed use as a crossdraw (even though the bottom edge of the holster tended to wear my jeans near my knee!), with my right hand coming across in front, fingers grasping the butt as my thumb popped the retaining strap of the half-flap and then pulling the SA up and across to my front.

After using their Model 100 with the Super Blackhawk, it was a natural transition to use that same Model 100 holster style when I began using Colt SAA's in 1971. When hiking and/or backpacking, it allowed uncluttered access to the holstered SA with either the right or left hand, sitting in a vehicle or on a log by a campfire, while also providing some protection from the elements and not allowing the exposed hammer tip to snag/catch on brush, etc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 155 Posts