Colt Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
In following up on my much earlier post (#39) Mike Barranti just finished up what I'm considering the ideal field holster, and one that (at least in my own circle of business) is sure to become tomorrow's classic.. I asked Mike to make some specific alterations to the time tested old 120 that Keith was most fond of, and what follows is the end product I had pictured & described in post #39. Pictured with it is its mate, a 41cal Flattop Colt that's also been altered some, as described in a past thread here on this forum as well. The Colt & leather have both been outfitted so to serve all season ranch use and I am ecstatic that things are finally winding up with this project so they can be put to work..

The rawhide laced 120 styles are surely a sight to behold, and no surprise that they're Mike's favorite to do. With the swapped cavalry button instead of a snap for muddy sloppy and frozen conditions, plus the holsters slightly changed cant-angle and position of carry, in my eyes as an outdoorsman & pasture-rider, THIS IS the Ultimate field rig for dependably carrying a sixgun afield. Proud to call it my own.

B4FF8267-E994-411D-9DFC-BBF49C7DA11A.jpeg

A63255B6-41A8-4E8D-949B-A3D9C455B1D4.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
In following up on my much earlier post (#39) Mike Barranti just finished up what I'm considering the ideal field holster, and one that (at least in my own circle of business) is sure to become tomorrow's classic.. I asked Mike to make some specific alterations to the time tested old 120 that Keith was most fond of, and what follows is the end product I had pictured & described in post #39. Pictured with it is its mate, a 41cal Flattop Colt that's also been altered some, as described in a past thread here on this forum as well. The Colt & leather have both been outfitted so to serve all season ranch use and I am ecstatic that things are finally winding up with this project so they can be put to work..

The rawhide laced 120 styles are surely a sight to behold, and no surprise that they're Mike's favorite to do. With the swapped cavalry button instead of a snap for muddy sloppy and frozen conditions, plus the holsters slightly changed cant-angle and position of carry, in my eyes as an outdoorsman & pasture-rider, THIS IS the Ultimate field rig for dependably carrying a sixgun afield. Proud to call it my own.

View attachment 673675

View attachment 673677
Man that outfit looks amazing!

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I picked this one up with a bunch of stuff awhile back. No name or maker stamp I can find. Extremely well made and lined. Couple questions. About when did they start using the brass screws. In my opinion this thing needs a good cleaning and leather treatment. Will that effect the value? If there is any?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
In my collection: the very first "Threepersons" holster -- Tom Threepersons' personal holster by A.B. Egland of Douglas AZ for Tom's first appearance as a lawman mid-1920 for El Paso P.D. His holster started life as a 5-1/2" but both of Tom's SAs being 4-3/4" he was able to attach a leg thong through the empty end of the holster. Provenance: it was a purchase from the widow of riflesmith Fred Wells who documented that he received it personally from Tom himself at 1934's annual rodeo in Prescott.

It was in 1930 that Sam Myres introduced a range of holsters, endorsed by Tom that year, called "Tom Threepersons Style Holsters" and the rest is history. Tom lived 1889 to 1969, married three times, and a short LEO career of 1920-1927. Don't go looking him up on Wikipedia, that entry is entirely false because it is based on the legends that Tom himself spread through dime novelists and thereafter was perpetuated by both Charlie Askins and Skeeter Skelton (the "True Story of Tom" is in my book Holstory).

The portions of that story before 1916 are attributed to a different man in Alberta who lived 1889 to 1949; the portions after 1916 are generally verifiable except for his claim of scouting for Patton which is plausible, even likely -- but no evidence other than his own testimony that is suspect because he was not Tom Three Persons, winner of the Calgary Stamped as he claimed; that was the British citizen died 1949. Indeed there is no evidence of either his real name or heritage.

restoration (8).JPG 1909 auction (4).PNG 1930 myres (2).jpg

The exact location of his TV Bar Ranch then was pinpointed recently :).

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lot of cows have died a glorious death for the likes of Saintclair and Yahoody :)

Jim @ Trailrider Products did a couple of these for me in various barrel lengths. This is a 4 3/4". They are rigged cross draw. Love it on a horse.

Cowboy Bob did this dbl rig for me just last week.

Gorgeous

·
Registered
183 Posts
That’s a 4 3/4 Brill. Seems like it rides a bit high from where the trigger guard sets, but it’s actually snug and fills out the shape of the 4 3/4 revolver just right.

I really like the design of this holster. I have an El Paso saddlery that is kinda similar. I don’t know why this style isn’t more common. Probably not ideal for horseback, but otherwise a wonderful and minimalist design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Thanks SM!. Beautiful design on that rig. Every thing you need and nothing you don't. Easy to see why Brill's design was a favorite of the Texas Rangers.

Have yet to find a commercial maker that is doing a worthy copy of the Brill. Love to hear of any one that is currently.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts