Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
There is a lot going on with that gun. The N.J. stamp interests me as I have an 1895 New Navy marked with the N.J. on the frame. It letters as going to the New Jersey State Naval Militia. You also have an issue to the Signal Corps as stamped on the butt. Looking forward to following this posting to see what all is uncovered. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
the second gun is also of interest due to the rear sight. I had one like that also and in trying to research it I found another that also had the opened up rear sight. I feel this was done at the factory and not by someone in the field. The one I had was a U.S. overrun and diverted to the commercial market. The other I found with that sight was a 12" Buntline. The barrel on mine had been cut so do not know the original length. Mine, and the Buntline, were both "No Record" guns. The second gun to me appears to be in better condition. Both are interesting pieces and should get a lot of posts following. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
In addition to what hwjhfs aid, the first gun has been significantly altered. It probably was originally a Colt Cavalry model but the barrel has been cut down to 4 3/4", the grips, some of the screws and cylinder replaced, and most of the gun buffed and reblued. All of this was done after it left government service and almost certainly after it left the NJ Militia.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
1st Gun: It may have been back to Colt at one time in its life but in its current configuration the answer would be no. Curious trigger, not a Colt SAA trigger. The finish, hammer, grips, barrel length, 2nd generation cylinder and maybe ejector housing are all not original to the gun.

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
In my opinion, the trigger guard and the back strap have been re-serialized by some one trying to make it appear as a matching.
As already mentioned, the first gun has a 2nd gen cylinder. Value on both is what someone would pay for parts. The good news is that both
frames appear to be original military. I believe that both barrels are also military.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
There is a lot going on with that gun. The N.J. stamp interests me as I have an 1895 New Navy marked with the N.J. on the frame. It letters as going to the New Jersey State Naval Militia. You also have an issue to the Signal Corps as stamped on the butt. Looking forward to following this posting to see what all is uncovered. Thanks for posting it.
As Keith said, a lot goin' on. Replaced hammer, grips and cylinder. Barrel from 1876 or '77 not '84 like the rest of the gun. Back strap a poor fit. However, the NJ militia and the BS markings make it interesting. John Kopec will dump on it for the most part but may have some interesting comments on those particular stampings. I think the sum of the US parts on ebay would bring $2500.00. JMO!

My mistake: Gun has appropriate DFC barrel. Was confused with the 2nd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts