Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought a SAA made in 1882. I do have a mismatched serial number from the frame and the trigger guard. The trigger guard is stamped with an "A". I have read that should stand for Aimsworth. However what I need help with is the "H" that's stamped just above where the firing pin goes into the frame. Can anyone help and let me know what that means? Thank you!

·
Registered
813 Posts
That's the hammer slot and it is an inspectors mark. It can be a letter or a number and some times there are two marks. I see that this is your first post...welcome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
By inspector mark, Trapdoor is referring to a Colt factory inspector. The "A" (Ainsworth) is a government inspector mark. Both civilian and military SAAs may have factory inspector marks, but only the military weapons will have a government insector's brand. Mismatched serials are normal on altered (5.5" barrel) military pistols, referred to as "artillery models". I have one myself - what are the approximate serials numbers on yours?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Yes it is my first post. I just joined. I have started my collection so I'm learning as much as I can. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By inspector mark, Trapdoor is referring to a Colt factory inspector. The "A" (Ainsworth) is a government inspector mark. Both civilian and military SAAs may have factory inspector marks, but only the military weapons will have a government insector's brand. Mismatched serials are normal on altered (5.5" barrel) military pistols, referred to as "artillery models". I have one myself - what are the approximate serials numbers on yours?
Darkwater, 76415 is on the frame and bottom of the backstrap. On the trigger guard is 864 with an "A" stamped under the number. From what I can find the trigger guard was made in 1874. Everything else puts it at 1882. Still wondering what the "H" means in the hammer slot.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Each Colt factory inspector was assigned a stamp (letter or number). The individual that inspected yours used an H. There were several different marks used and I have not heard of any research that identified to whom they belonged. You can find that certain marks were used during different time periods. Heavy productions periods seems to have a bigger variety indicating that there were more inspectors employed.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It could be an Artillery model ONLY if it has a "U.S" marked frame, just to the right of the patent date stamping on the left side; otherwise it is a mismatched civilian gun..

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
It could be an Artillery model ONLY if it has a "U.S" marked frame, just to the right of the patent date stamping on the left side; otherwise it is a mismatched civilian gun..
Also should have DFC stamped over the serial number on the frame if US ussue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts