Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some nice pictures of ivory grips on SAA and other Colts.
I'm thinking of some on my new SAA and wonder what's the opinion, with or without medallions ?
If yes to medallions, gold or silver.
The pic's I see for original first gen. usually show plain grips, would they be considered the correct ones to use?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Generally speaking, from comments I've gathered here on the Colt Forum, I think most prefer Ivories without medallions. However, it depends on the gun and the look you are trying to achieve. I have guns with Ivories both with and without medallions. It's a personal preference.
Here's a pair of consecutively numbered Colt SAA's that have been engraved in the style of Cuno Helfricht. I chose Colt Antique Medallions that complement the color case and the period.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
As I recall, the heyday of medallions on SAA occurred with the 1st Geners wood grips around 1900 to maybe 1915 or 1920. I don't think they existed before that.

Of course they were used on the wooden grips from the 1960s as well.

I personally like the looks of them on either wood or ivory.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I personally don't like the medallions on my ivory gripped guns. Don't hate the medallions it's just the ivory grips look cleaner and less clutered without them. As always just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Chaffee and 11866

·
Registered
229 Posts
1901 SAA with Ivory

I recently acquired this beautiful SAA with Ivory Grips. It's a Colt Frontier Six Shooter, of course in 44-40, that was shipped Oct. 30, 1901 to Krakauer, Zork, and Moye Company in El Paso, TX. The action is amazing on this gun! I would love to know the history of this gun. I like the Ivory without the medallions. I think the medallions appeared from Colt in the mid to late 1900's.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
My recently acquired 1970 Colt NF SAA in .45LC 5.5" barrel sporting butter smooth plain ivories! They were really what made me buy her, just couldn't resist them! Either way you choose they'll look great! Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
I prefer the ivory without medallions. In the days before every thing was being faked, having medallions meant the grips were 'made by/for Colt.' Today, you can buy just about any medallion style you want and reproduce whatever vintage of 'original Colt ivories' that you want.
Forum members hate 'fake boxes,' so why not 'fake medallion grips?'

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I prefer the clean lines of no medallions.

However, if you want your cake and eat it too, then have the "medallion" carved right into the ivory :)

Reactions: saintclair
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.