Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking a while & joined forum today.

Need a question answered.

Last weekend I purchased a coupple of Colt SAAs NIB. I really like the feel of those wonderous guns so much that I want to start shooting them at the range.

So what is a good brand to buy I take out & shoot? I've seen the Ruger new Vaquero & a Berreta, but haven't handled either one yet. Any other suggestions of brands. Why is one better than the other? What is the disadvantages of any of the brands?

TIA

·
Registered
240 Posts
I find the Beretta rather interesting but I've never actually seen one so I asked a question similar to yours. Essentially what I wanted to know was how the Beretta Laramie stacked up again the Uberti Schofields. Beretta, of course, owns Uberti.

The responses were pretty clear on the Laramie being the better made and better finished gun but a gun with a couple oddities. First, unlike a Uberti Schofield, the Laramie will not chamber 45 Schofield brass. Second, though the Laramie rear sight is adjustable in theory in fact it is not. The rear sight is apparently held on by two very small, very tight screws which are almost impossible to loosen. Even if you can get them loose there is no way to control the windage and elevation adjustments you are about to make. Finally, the Laramie isn't a replica of any wild west gun. It is sort of a cross between several.

Of course the Shot Show is in a couple of weeks and who knows what new products will appear there.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Check out USFA. They are made in America (specifically Hartford, CT) and their quality is already approaching legendary status. The consensus seems to be that they are very close to the 2nd gen SAA. The ones I have examined have excellent finishes and actions.

Their cost is close to Colt's, but they are very well made guns.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a 4 3/4" USFA in .44 Special and mine is the equal of my friend's 2nd Generation SAA.

If you just bought 2 new Colts, why not take THEM out and shoot them. That's what they are for, you know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I didn't make myself too clear.
One of the Colts I bought is a fancier one-factory 1 pc stags etc. I'm going to keep it boxed and just stare at it.

Since I liked the feel so much I would like to purchase a replica that I can pick up for maybe half the price of a Colt, say $400-$600

·
Registered
154 Posts
You might consider the USFA Rodeo. You will not worry about using this gun as it has a dull matte finish but is mechanically the same as the more expensive USFA or Colt. It is in the $600 range I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts