Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Well....it's not a Colt but an old 'Mexican'/European copy. There are several givaways on this gun. The sight groove isn't pinched, the lack of any markings except the low number (which is typical of these copys), in the last pic you can tell it's not a Colt frame, the poor fit, the laynard hole, wrong hammer, non Colt style numbers and location, wrong basepin etc, etc. These come up for sale quite frequently and are sometimes confused for real Colts. Value: up to $1000.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
I just read the latest posts on that forum linked to above....so according to Colt, the only way they determined that this was a 'mexican' was the serial number font?? Really? There is nothing Colt about that gun. I named just a few issues. Apparently, Colt doesn't even know what their own 1st Gen SAA's look like and that's sad....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't be too hard on Colt, their service department is only aware of their modern offerings. Paul at the historical department has more on the ball, but that awful gun that got so may excited wasn't worth a phone call. Read a book next time or search the Internet for photos of a pinched frame.

JP

·
Registered
508 Posts
Somewhere in the original poster's words, a feeling comes to me that perhaps he's dangling bate for a buyer to pay too many thousands of dollars for that piece. I didn't sift through his statements to add foundation for such a feeling--doesn't matter in this instance. One aspect that I find peculiar--Remember sitting in front of Sesame Street with your children and singing, "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong"? Well, on the internet, a 30 second peek at SAA photos should have clued the poster to--his SAA is not like ALL the others!

As far as Colt's assessment of the gun and as to what they shared with the poster, we only have his side of that conversation--if there was a conversation.

I've only begun to learn about Colts in the last few months. I have purchased Winchester rifles. Through the years some sellers were shifty/shady. From them I've learned to pay attention when the feeling arises that something isn't quite above board.

Perhaps I'm just a tad abrasive this evening, and the poster is merely naive?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I'm no 1st Gen expert but that is obviously a knock-off, non Colt gun. All the shapes are wrong. Just the frame alone is obviously not Colt.

And the comments of people thinking it is real. That is how people get taken.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Also want to add that, despite the age, the only real mechanical issue seems to be with the cylinder timing (I think that's what it's called). Hammer locks, cylinder cycles, and trigger functions all properly. Push rod's even still intact. The chambers just don't seem to properly align with the barrel anymore. Fairly sure this might not be the worst restoration project.
Other than a broken hammer notch or trigger sear inside that knockoff POS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts