Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these single action army grips at a gun show about 20 or so years ago and just ran across them again this week. I was wondering if anyone knows the complete history of this type of imitation stag grip made by Pointer Pup. I think they were supposed to be standard on the Great Western SAA made in the 1950's or early 60's. I'm a big fan of the old Gunsmoke series and I recall seeing the same style grips on Marshal Matt Dillon's SAA. I'm sure no expert on this subject but would appreciate anyone with knowledge on these grips to let me know if I'm correct on my guess that these type of grips were used on the Gunsmoke series. I think they actually look better than many real stag grips I've seen over the years. What do you think?
Sleeve Natural material Tree Rectangle Font
Font Art Metal Fashion accessory Circle
Wood Tool Auto part Bicycle part Metal

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
These may have been made by “S.W. Cut & Mfg. Montebello, Calif. at least there is a connection between the companies. I have seen both names stamped into other grips.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Newspaper Gun barrel

SOUTHWEST CUTLERY & MFG. CO.
Company Number0219982
Previous Company Numbers
  • C0219982
Status Disolved Corporation
Date: 2 September 1947 (about 75 years ago)
Company Type : DOMESTIC STOCKJurisdictionCalifornia (US)
Registered Address;
  • 1309 OLYMPIC BLVD.,
    MONTEBELLO, CA 90640
  • United States

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I really like the look of jigged bone as well. Does anyone know of someone that makes real jigged bone grips today? Might be relatively easy with the power tools available today. Mark in AZ
Check River Junction Trading. They seem to have someone making them right. So many actors carried them in TV shows besides Matt Dillon. Tombstone Territory, Wells Fargo, and Stuart Whitman had them on his long barreled nickel Colt in Cimarron Strip just to name a few.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Herd118, for the information on the four grip styles used on the Great Western guns. It appears from what I see that my grips are of the Number 1 style, as they are Pointer Pup with the solid resin and not hollow backed. Since these were used for the first 6,000 or so Great Western guns, they were probably used on some of the Gunsmoke episodes. A close-up picture of Matt Dillon's gun is shown at the end of the show on some mid-60's episodes, and they appear very close to what I have. I'm very glad to see these grips were in fact used on the first generation of Great Western guns.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Pointer Pup faux stag predated the Great Western Arms revolver by a few years at least. In 1953 Pointer was say two villages over from GWA in suburban LA (Montebello vs Southgate), and GWA choose to use those grips as they were a cheap grip solution for their base model revolver and there was the "westerns" tie in... faux stags of similar appearance had been showing up in movies / TV since the the 30s.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I remembered that I had a good set of these grips and tried them on my 1911 SAA because it has the smallest grip frame I own. And these grips always seem undersize, or like they shrink. They actually feel real good in the hand. Pictured in an old Ojala, of course..

Goggles Publication Eyewear Book Font

1 - 12 of 12 Posts