Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, don't know anything about the SAAs other than the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gens seem to be expensive as hell. I want an SAA to round out my collection, but don't really care to spend what I paid for my Python on a 44-40, .45 LC, etc... I think I want to go with the .22 LR/.22 Mag. OK, are those "New Frontiers", "Scouts", etc... made by Colt, just the same as the old revolvers, (and the 1911s/AR), or are they, like the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, etc... which were made by Uberti, made by someone else?
Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
New Frontiers and Scouts in .22LR are made by Colt, but they are downsized from the Colt SAA. A true Colt SAA in 44-40 or 45Colt is a worthwhile expense to round anyone's collection. The Colt 2nd Generation Blackpowders, which would include the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army were made by Colt using in the rough parts sets from Uberti and then a mixture of parts castings from Uberti and parts from Lou Imperato made here in the US. These were made to Colt's specifications, inspected by Colt, the "C" Series guns were assembled and finished at Colt, shipped by Colt, and lettered by Colt. The "F" Series guns were assembled by Imperato's firm with some finishing done by Colt, and the rest by Imperato. Then inspected by Colt, Boxed by colt, Shipped by Colt, and Lettered by Colt. Just for clarification.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
I collect both the Colt SAA and the Peacemaker/Scout/New Frontier pistols. The Peacemaker is the most desired and expensive of the Colt 22 single actions, but all versions are collectible as all were made by Colt in the 60's and 70's and are no longer made. And like all Colts, barrel length and original extras and gun condition determine price. They are slightly smaller than the full size Single Action 44-40's and 45LC's, but the Peacemakers and New Frontiers are made the same way, same quality, same case hardened frames.. and same things to watch out for. The full size SAA's prices start about where the 22's stop generally speaking.. around 1K, but you can see any price on anything with the way auctions go these days. I certainly wouldn't agonize over which one.. one of both flavors is the ticket.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts