Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the location where a first generation Single Action Army was originally shipped effect it's value? I heard it said that a west coast Frontier Six Shooter was more desirable than one shipped elsewhere. I there any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The destination and, if listed, who a 1st Generation Single Action was shipped to can make a significant difference in value.

In my opinion a Single Action shipped to the West Coast doesn't necessarily add to the value, but one that shipped to a historic western frontier town and the time period certainly does (El Paso, Yuma, Tombstone, Austin, San Antonio, etc.). However, in all cases, the extra value is what a seller places on it and what a buyer is willing to pay for having one shipped to an interesting location.

If you find one shipped to Bat Masterson, for example, you will pay an eye-bleeding price (way up in the six figures, or more)!

From my experiences a Single Action that letters as shipped to San Francisco or Los Angeles won’t get much special interest from Single Action collectors except those that live in San Francisco or Los Angeles; although, one shipped to "Colt's San Francisco Agency" might add some value to a broader spectrum of collectors. In most cases the gun’s configuration and condition will be the primary source of its value; again, this is just one collector's opinion.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
to me a first gen is a first gen no matter where it was shipped. now if a famous person owned it, thats another matter all together.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Not only with the Colt SAA, but also with Sharps rifles. If a Sharps rifle was shipped to Fort Griffin, Texas to Frank Conrad it was a buffalo rifle. A few of these old rifles have turned up and they all look the same. They are well worn, absolutely plain except for an extra heavy barrel. They will normally bring four to five times what a "back east" shipped rifle will bring.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think that in the same condition; a Texas shipped Colt will bring more than one shipped to one of the big distributors back east. But of course us Texans are known as "braggerts"!

Reactions: kdave21

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have never placed a lot of value on Colt letters and their destinations for early SAA revolvers. A revolver could have been shipped to New York city and bought by a person seeking fame and fortune moving to Fort Dodge or a gun shipped to Fort Dodge but ended up in New York city as a love sick cowboy marries his east coast sweet heart. The country was growing at this time and people were moving all about. Most of the places Colt shipped multiple guns to were the gun shops of there day, you never know where the guns really ended up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I really like the 1st Gens sent to an address before one of the Western "states" became a state, i.e., Oklahoma Territory, Arizona Territory, New Mexico Territory.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Perhaps that's true Hugh, but you're mighty big ones.

Bud

I think that in the same condition; a Texas shipped Colt will bring more than one shipped to one of the big distributors back east. But of course us Texans are known as "braggerts"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts