Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an other board a poster claims that Uberti is making the peacemaker, print made in the USA on it, and therefor claims it to be an original Colt. I don't believe this guy for one second. Uberti is renowned indeed for the quality of their guns but I don't believe that they would be so naive to believe that Colt would allow them to do this. Although I have never handled a peacemaker or an Uberti I believe that both should be easily indentified as being a real Colt or an Italian replica.
Can anybody shed some light on this matter?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
This old urban legend has been around for years.
First, Colt has ALWAYS made the SAA in Hartford at the Colt Plant.
NO SAA or parts of, have ever been made anywhere else, especially not at Uberti.

Where all this started was, over the years Colt did have a few odd gun models made by overseas companies, shipped to Colt where they were assembled and finished.
These guns were mostly rifles and a .25 automatic.
The fact that these guns were made overseas was no secret.

In the mid-1970's Colt reintroduced the black powder revolver lines.
The raw parts for these guns were made by Uberti, shipped to the USA and assembled and finished here.

There was no secret about this either.

This started the rumor progression:
Colt was having the black powder revolvers made in Italy.
Colt was making guns in Italy.
Colt was making single action pistols in Italy.
Colt IS making the Single Action Army in Italy, and ripping the buyer off by claiming it's made in the USA.

This in turn led to more rumors:
Colt is making all their guns overseas.
Colt is making their guns overseas from cheap cast steel.
Colt is having guns made in China of cheap cast steel.
Colt is going out of business.
Colt is no longer selling guns to civilians.
Colt is discontinuing (name your favorite here).
Colt is going to introduce a new (name your favorite here).
Colt is BUYING a company (name your own favorite here).
Colt is being BOUGHT by (name your own favorite here).
Colt is having cheap cast steel guns made in China by nude women bodybuilders.

(OK, so I made the last one up).

ALL, repeat ALL Colt 1911, SAA, and double action pistols are and always have been made in the USA at the Colt factory from forged and milled steel.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dfarriswheel,

It seems that I am on holy ground here so I will weigh my words with much care. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Because to me this is confusing.

Uberti is making several handguns which look more then a lot like colt revolvers. Some infact have been given colt names. (Paterson, Dragoon, Walker, Cattleman etc.). I never would want to make the biggest mistake of all by buying an Uberti for what I would believe to be a genuine Colt.

So as long as I see the Hartford signature on the barrel it's the reel thing and when it reads something els it's not a Colt and therefor a fake.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
well said!! somewhere i have a letter from the colt factory saying the exact same thing,i wrote them and asked. colt saa guns are factory sighted to print point of aim, i have never seen an italian copy shoot within 6" of point of aim from the factory.most examined will show signs of work on the frt site.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Just to add another tidbit, I think Uberti is now owned by Beretta, and makes the Beretta Stampede SAA clone to Beretta specs.
Can't recall the name, but I seem to remember another company that once advertised a SAA clone so exact that Colt parts would interchange....May still be around... Anyone remember that one?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The clone you may be refering to was the FIRST Colt SAA clone. The AMERICAN made(Los Angeles) Great Western,made from 1954 to circa 1961-62. This is my "special interest",aside from Colts & Smith's.

Yes,parts will interchange,and in fact,Great Western,would equip the gun with a Colt hammer and firing pin,instead of the frame mounted firing pin and odd looking hammer face,the only major visual difference. Cylinders,bbls and most internal parts will interchange,with fitting,and the bolt,trigger,and hammer screws of the G.W. are of different diameter.

Name has been revived,by E.M.F. Co.,who bought out the G.W.parts supply in early 60's,then imported SAA clones.

Hy Hunter,who later imported a German made "clone" under his name(it is same as later Hawes),was one of the early backers of Great Western,as was Audie Murphy.

I could write a book on the G.W.s and they are finally getting the value they deserve in price. One of the few "curves" I was able to get a big jump on!

Bud

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Nope. I know about and remember the Great Western guns. They had their ups and downs, but for a time, after working out some bugs, produced a high quality clone. Matt Dillon (James Arness) carried one for many of the Gunsmoke series, or so I've heard.
The one I was thinking about was much more recent. I got my FFL around 1990, and a fellow from work was showing me the ad from Shotgun News, and asking about ordering one. He was impressed by the ads references to how accurate the replica detail was supposed to be to the original Colt SAA, and the parts being interchangeable. Great Western had been out of businuss for at least 20+ years at the time, and whatever brand these were, they were still in production. They may still be around. I don't pay much attention to the SAA clone market.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Gunsmoke

The bottom line is this: If it's a Colt, it'll have the colt Pony logo, and the Colt address on it.
This is usually marked as:
Colt's PT.FA.MFG Co.Hartford, Conn, USA

If it doesn't have this, it NOT a real Colt.

There are and have been many copies of Colt black powder revolvers, Single Actions, and 1911's.
None I know of are of the same quality of a genuine Colt, even if the parts interchange.

A genuine Colt is a Colt. Everything else is either a copy or a fake.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Colt Guns are like Harley Davidson Motor Bikes,if you have to ask,you don"t get it,

Horse Gunner

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents,
Your expertise has been noted! And of course rated higher then what I heard before on the other board.

I will personally pistolwhip verbally the blasfemist who was the cause of this very improper alligation. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Keep them smoking,

Gunsmoke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts