Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This pair of Colt Single Action Army revolvers was damaged in a house fire and in need of a good restoration. No problem! Here at Custom Shop, we will do our magic on these guns and return them to the owner looking just like the day they came from the Colt factory.

In a couple of days we will post several photographs showing details of the fire damage to these guns.

Below is a video of both of the damaged guns.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/e0yx0OqxR54?rel=0[/video]

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Not much of a fire. If the grips are still intact and on the gun, not much hurt there. I don't have a problem refinishing beater third gen guns. Why the tease on the finished work?

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
If they didn't get hot enough to do any more damage than that to the stocks they should be OK. Most of damage appears to be smoke and water.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If those are the original stocks, it doesn't appear the fire was too close to the guns. Maybe the fire retardant got on the guns for the staining. The guns I have observed to be in the heat of the fire came out one color when the soot was cleaned off and that was all grey.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Tough crowd around here. No one said destroyed by house fire. Will look forward to seeing the "after" video.
The title is "SAA Revolvers BURNED IN FIRE!!!". As already pointed out, these guns are not burned at all, they just have a little damage from water or fire retardant. They actually look better than most project guns I have worked on.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The key of advertising is to get the attention of customers. It did what it was intended to do. Everyone here is looking at it or has seen the video. Job Done.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The key of advertising is to get the attention of customers. It did what it was intended to do. Everyone here is looking at it or has seen the video. Job Done.
Is it possible that the "advertising" could hurt the business? This thread posted in several locations on the site has garnered a lot of bad publicity souring many to the business.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I wouldn't want to buy a gun that was in a house fire. I think the Custom Shop should tell us if the guns are safe to fire but I guess that's up to the owner to have them tested. If I owned the Custom Shop I wouldn't restore them without a clean bill of health from a testing lab.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Obvious the grips weren't harmed, melted or warped. So nothing got very hot. Steel is fine.
Glad I am not the insurance agent on this one.
Nope, it's obvious that they were not hurt by fire at all, so the steel in these particular guns is no doubt ok. It's just a little bit of collateral damage, but the insurance company might very well have to foot he bill for a full restoration.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts