Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I think I read this happens. I'm trying to look up S87535A but it's saying "not found" in the Colt site. Can anyone help me figure out when this was made? I think recently, but don't have the numbers figured out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have 2 brand new SAA's, just got em 2 months ago. Both start with S874XXA, one is a P1850 the other is a P1840. According to the QR code on the TG the P1840 is 08-12-2019 and the P1850 is 09-01-2019. Scan the QR code on yours and you'll know when it was inspected. Both, by the way, also come up not found on Colt's website. Too new to be added yet.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that what the guy told me. But it has some smudges on the frame case hardening. They looked like either factory grease or maybe some oxidation of the lacquer (if any is put on the case hardening). I asked the guy and unfortunately he walked back to his bench, sprayed some "gun scrubber" on it, and rubbed vigorously. Now the case hardening there is lighter, and splotchy. I would have stopped him, but thought he was just going to wipe some CLP or oil on it. Unfortunately, I now think I'll pass on the gun, he has it priced retail.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Yeah, that last SAA that I saw in August was not at my local shop. The guy took it out of the glass display.. half cocked it to safety check the cylinder and then lowered the hammer from there.
It’s hard to stop somebody from doing something bad when you didn’t expect them to do it is what I’m sayin’.

I did see another more local to me. Didn’t have them take it out. Price was over $2500 and doesn’t include tax. No.
Btw, it looked bad. Very dark colors. I’m hoping it was just dried grease, like Azshot wondered, but I’ve seen grease on a lot of new 3rds too and looked like oxidation in some areas. I don’t know what’s going on- it was the latest production gun too.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, and confirming you've seen problems too. I've actually seen about 3 now in the past few months that are new production. This one was a contender for my money, until I noticed the splotches on the right side of the frame. I just cannot see buying a $1900 gun that looks like this "new". I'm sure among the others there are some good ones, but not this one. These were taken AFTER he tried to clean.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Wow,that’s tough to look at. No words.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Thanks for the help, and confirming you've seen problems too. I've actually seen about 3 now in the past few months that are new production. This one was a contender for my money, until I noticed the splotches on the right side of the frame. I just cannot see buying a $1900 gun that looks like this "new". I'm sure among the others there are some good ones, but not this one. These were taken AFTER he tried to clean.

I've seen that on 3rd gens from around the 1980's. The frame not prepared right for the CC process? That's really poor quality.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I , was a boy ,my mother told me often in the stores , look with your eyes not your fingers . Now that pistol is altered for the next buyer . I'm sure there was a lesson learned .

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let us hope, but the guy is a very experienced SAA gunsmith in his 70s at least. I never like those spray cleaners, and stay away from them. It could have been just hard grease from the factory. We'll never know, the Gun Scrubber took off some oxidation, faded some colors, and didn't get it all off anyway. Lesson learned: Do NOT use Gun Scrubber on case hardening. At least that's what I learned.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'll tell you exactly what you are seeing. Colt or whoever does their CCH does coat them with lacquer or shellac and when the gun is placed in the plastic bag, the bag "attacks" the lacquer melting itself to the bag. I have one that was stuck inside the bag and I could see the bag pulling the color off of the frame when I was removing the gun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is along the line of the online Colt serial number look up not a finish problem . On a look up the site tells me made in 1990 but I have two books that say made in 1981 . The site needs a few updates , sounds like .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts