Colt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Okay... so I thought I'd post this up because it may be of some interest. I started digging a little further and the "shipped to" name on the archive letter is Robert Stevens. That's not who owned the Colt previously, so I called my brother's wife to ask questions. Here's the deal: Robert Stevens was a wealthy businessman and former chairman of J.P. Stevens Company, one of the largest textile manufacturing companies in the U.S. He served as Eisenhower's Secretary of the Army from 1953-55. Mr. Stevens owned a ranch near Two Dot, Montana and employed a man named Louis Brannin as his ranch manager. When Louis retired, Mr. Stevens hired Louis' son, Stanton Brannin as the next ranch manager. Stanton never married and never had children. He died in 2019, and his will designated his niece, Kim, as the executor of his estate. Kim is my brother's wife's mother. When I saw Kim over Christmas, she unloaded a bunch of Stanton's old guns because she knew I'd like to see them and potentially buy some. In Kim's possession was this Colt SAA. Of course, I knew none of this at the time. All I knew was that it was a nice-looking old Colt.

So... there you go... some of the back-story as I'm unearthing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
What were the other guns?
I purchased another Colt SAA from Kim. I'll be posting about it soon. I don't have the Archive Letter yet, which is why I refrained. It's a 1970 2nd Gen SAA. It's also in very nice shape, but that's another story... :)

There were also two old Winchesters, a Model 54 and a Model 64. They were both working guns and were not in mint condition, but still cool. Stanton also bought a lot of shotguns over the years at DU events. She had an Auto 5s and some other Brownings from the late 80s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That Colt is in outstanding condition! I'll give you $3k for it! ;)
Thanks SDRider. I think I'm hanging on to this prewar/postwar SAA for a while, but I am interested in trying to get a feel for what it is worth. I'm sure there is someone on here who can help or point me in the right direction. Anyone know of a person to contact to get some sort of quick estimate or appraisal or something?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks SDRider. I think I'm hanging on to this prewar/postwar SAA for a while, but I am interested in trying to get a feel for what it is worth. I'm sure there is someone on here who can help or point me in the right direction. Anyone know of a person to contact to get some sort of quick estimate or appraisal or something?
Man, I'm not sure but I would guess $3k easily. If you ever want to part with it let me know, I'm definitely interested.

Condition and originality is everything and yours looks to be in excellent condition. It's a beautiful gun.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I believe it could. How many pre-war post-war SAAs do you actually see, to say nothing of the original box and the fact that it letters! It appears to be in nice condition and the box is correctly labeled.

- - Bruce

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Charles Layson, am-firearms.com. Lexington Ky. He's a CCA member and is doing authentication and appraisals of SAAs. No idea what he charges.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I can also recommend Charles Layson, he is a personal friend and has a deep knowledge of Colt Single Action Armys.

- - Bruce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm going to reach out to Mr. Layson. I appreciate all of the help, guys. And I'll be sure to post up a little something about my other SAA once I get the Archive Letter from Colt. Still waiting on that one.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts