Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to use smokeless, 200 grain ammunition, in my 1890 SAA 41 Colt? When they started to bring back the 41 long Colt ammo., Ultra Max said they tested it on "old revolvers," but my Colt is probably considered a black powder revolver. I have shot the 41 Long Colt ammo, but I don't know the damage if any, it is causing to the gun. GunBroker is selling a box of 41 long Colt ammo presently.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
While my SAA in .41 L.C. is a about a decade newer,and "safe" for smokeless, I wouldn't worry about your gun. That stuff is loaded fairly mild!!

I also have a 1912 Army Special in .41. BOTH of these guns have digested some fairly hot smokeless loads. Pressure is mild with the heel based bullet(it's not in the case that "ling",but can get pretty hot,with .386 hollow based bullets,which chrono about 800 fps-but some of the gasses escape past the undersize slug,before it expands,

BTW-better start reloading,if you wanna shoot that .41 more!! Unless you have a lot of $$$ to burn up on factory ammo!

Bud

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bud for the response. I really enjoy shooting the 41 Colt. I have a Bisley 38-40 as well, and even thought model was made more for target shooting, I like the feel of the 41 much more and it is more accurate. You are right, the only company that I know that makes 41 Long Colts is Ultra Max and they charge over $50 for a box of fifty, plus shipping. Whew!!!! Thanks again. Any other helpful info. about either gun would be much appreciated. Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts