Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious as to what members would value this one at?

It is a early 3rd Gen gun, 1st year production. SA suffix on the serial number.

Numbers are matching. Cylinder has had a removable bushing added and the front edge was beveled to mimic 1st gen guns, then reblued. Also comes with a like Colt cylinder correctly chambered for 45 Colt with min spec throats (made from a 3rd Gen 38 Special cylinder).

Colt OEM one piece walnut grips were fitted. (from Colt's Heritage II production) Trigger guard was beveled in a 1st Gen profile. Hammer was recut to a 1st Gen bordered pattern and color cased. Barrel has some blueing wear from holster carry on the left front. Timing is perfect with all new Colt internals and a crisp 3.5# trigger. Trigger guard and back strap were reblued. Gun shoots POA with 255gr bullets using either cylinder.

Cosmetically the gun is a very close match for colors/blueing. With some use it should match up perfectly given a little time and TLC. The idea was to rebuild an old gun but not take away all its history and honest wear.

15 Yard off hand target, 18 rounds. POA/POI when I could hold it.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Wasn't thinking about my work really. Just the street value of a "custom" SAA that shoots?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's a nice looking gun with desirable upgrades. To the right person on Gunbroker I could see it going between 1500 and 2000. Especially if the mods are correctly described and pointed out. Those guys like to spend money.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny to me when you think about the SAA. Not many truly custom guns around by comparison to volume. Even fewer actually being shot. If it weren't for CAS/SAA the Colt SAA would have likely been gone a decade or two ago. 1911s production guns have easily kept up with the Custom 1911 market and I think now has surpassed the small custom shops price verses value. Colt 1911s are not a production gun that has kept up in the market place.

When I look at a handgun I just want to know if it "shoots". Not every SAA does, or has anything close to the same POI/POA.

For me I want a 1911 with good ergonomics, good trigger and high profile sights you can see with, as well as hitting what you are aiming at. Past that it is all cake.

Again the SAA needs grips that fit your hands, decent trigger, good timing (to last)and shoot POI/POA. Sights are what they are. Love them or hate them. I like the challenge

Surprised what it takes to get a really good SAA past "luck of the draw" or just staring over and building a "custom" SAA.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Yahoody. There's nothing like that out there in the way of handguns.
Lots of rifle manufacturers have a MOA guarantee.

There's no baseline, no standard.
The SAA serves a purpose as an $1800 "contemporary collectible".

The days of putting a frame in a vise and sending along the target with the gun are long gone - but that's what it takes.

I know less than a handfull of guys that actually shoot their SAAs on a routine basis, Everyone else is concerned with it losing value.

...but yet they'll spend $40,000 on a vehicle that is worth 1/2 that in 5 years.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LeverActionBill said:
There's nothing like that out there in the way of handguns.
Lots of rifle manufacturers have a MOA guarantee. There's no baseline, no standard.
Have to agree with much of what you said Bill.

But in the world of custom 1911s you either guarantee a 1.5" or less POA/POI @ 25 yards or find a new job. The good guys will give you an 1.5 @ 50 yards from a Ransom rest.

No reason SAA won't do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
The 1911 is a much different animal.
The cartridge is already in that barrel: no transition from cylinder to barrel, no worries of exact cylinder to barrel alignment nor worries about each cylinders' chamber doing the same. The Camp Perry Match in single shot gets about as close as can be - short of a full custom bored Revolver.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If I had the money I would buy it for 1600 - 1800 an give it serious consideration at 2000. However, if it were mine I probably wouldn't sell it for less than 2000.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LeverActionBill said:
The 1911 is a much different animal....
From my limited perspective not really. Most folks can't shoot well enough to recognize the difference between a good one and a hoo-hum one in any version past the cosmetics. But the basics of building an accurate gun are still the same. And a good one in any version can make a hoo-hum shooter look like Annie Oakley :) (within reason of course)

Nothing (gun wise) was likely going to help the little lady putting rounds into the floor at 7 yard yesterday. :bang_wall:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Yahoody,

IMO that's a beautiful SAA. What makes it different from most customs is that every custom feature improves its desirability. Most customs detract from the original Colt that it was. The CCH hammer with 1st gen cut checkering, the beveled cyl, the extra cyl, the beveled trigger guard, the i pc OEM grips, and removal bushing all add historical class to it. If I were bidding at auction on it, I likely wouldn't quit before it got to $2500, it's just that tastefully done!

I have a 1979 early third with SA suffix and it still has a beveled trigger guard and 2nd gen style address font, instead of the 22 Peacemaker roll stamp like the following 3rd gens have.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Nice pistola! Do I see a hint of plum coloration in the trigger guard or am I the only one with an early 3rd Gen like this 85447SA? Forty years ago it was blue but has changed slowly to what you see here. The second .45 is from 1957. Colts Dec 2014 009.JPG Colts Dec 2014 005.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
LeverActionBill, I laughed out loud at your spot on comment. I belong to a small affluent club here in Connecticut. I've been shooting SAA(s) (or Pythons) and people have said "you should save those and not shoot them". I look over at their Range Rover or Maybach or whatever (including helicopters) as they shoot a Glock or similar and just say "really?" Live a little gentlemen, do you really think your grandkids will call you an a-hole for a turn line on one of your SAAs or Pythons? Come on. Live a little today boys. Now.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My shooters. DSCN0646.JPG DSCN0620.JPG DSCN0617.JPG Yahoody I think yours would be valued around $1500 +- on the market, because it's a used Colt SAA thats been worked over and some refinishing. Here on the Colt forum I think you can do better because you are a member I high regard and you given us the details of your work.

·
Registered
933 Posts
The reality is; you have a very nice "custom shooter"! Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than what a brand new SAA would be selling for - so what are we talking? $1500 - 1800? There is no question, it is probably worth more but people probably wouldn't pay what you have in it or what it is worth to you.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Why is it that if a python has been refinished (Even by Colt) and is in perfect condition most folks around here feel the value is severely diminished while not on a Single Action ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts