Colt Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, your suggestions worked! Applied Kroil to both ends of the screw and let it soak most of the day yesterday and overnight. This morning I took my hair dryer and got it nice and hot. Took my screwdriver back to it and I was able to back the screw out, with some effort. Fortunately I didn't need to resort to anything more drastic. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Methylene chloride-- Carcinogen! Handle with proper care (but best to avoid). I thought that the companies that decaf coffee used supercritical carbon dioxide these days. Many used to use ethyl acetate (finger nail polish remover) instead of methylene chloride.
Indeed. Since it boils at 114º F, the coffee roasting process "should" remove any remnants. Plastic fabrication and repair shops also use it, as it is so thin that it penetrates into cracks and bonds the plastic back together. As to carcinogens, I worry far less than I used to and I didn't worry much then. In hindsight, I did end up with three cancers, but what's that between friends? Using proper gear, it is not generally more hazardous than many other solvents. You know what is really carcinogenic? The benzene found in gasoline. It's also been found in some sunscreens???

As to using it, I keep it tightly sealed and use small amounts in a needle applicator. I may have to try that mix, since I use the stuff occasionally anyway. I do have a 3M industrial respirator hanging nearby. Actually, it works better than the stupid masks we have worn the past year.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts