Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new frontie seems to be out of time. it shoots fine, but the hammer pull is not smooth at all. you could say its 'choppy'. it has lighter springs which helped but it hasnt felt right since the day i bought it. the serial number is 16xxxnf. can anyone make a suggestion as to what the problem may be or a book i should get. thanks.

i will also post this on other boards.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
We'd need more info on this one.
Out of time means that the cylinder isn't locking and unlocking in a proper sequence.

Example: When slowly cocked, the hammer reaches full-cock, but the cylinder still isn't locked. That's out of time.

Smoothness of the action is another story.

For the absolute best info on SAA timing, action work, and gunsmithing, buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, Gunsmithing the Colt Single Action Revolvers.

This has EVERYTHING known about proper work on the SAA guns, and every SAA owner should have a copy.

Available from Brownell's Gunsmith Supply and other sources.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for great info. the timing must be ok since it locks up on full cock and it seems to be very accurate. i have been putting off ordering that book but no longer.

i have to add how much i like this gun and my other colt. i have heard people knock the design of the colt lockwork but the frame size fits my stubby hands perfectly. i guess it is called the model P.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts