Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 years ago I bought No. 350363, a 32-20 at an auction in Switzerland.. it was rather expensive and does not look as good as I had expected from the pictures... but when the archive letter came I was surprised: Browning Brothers.. in 1927.
on the inside of one of the stocks a name is scratched. I read: P. D. Davison, 1931, Idaho.

Now I would like to hear from you... for instance, Hey, that was my Grandpa, he was a famous US Marshall... that would be nice. I tried the net but without much success.
Peter P1020317.jpg P1020318.jpg P1020324.jpg

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Some rough country between SLC/Ogden and the Idaho border in 1927. Still is except for the I84 or I15 passing through. Not much there even today but cows, wild horses and sage brush. Any where in between is still real cowboy country. It aint all flat but parts of (southern Idaho) look a lot like this in the Fall.

and like this in the Spring.

32-20 was and still is a handy cartridge to get things done. Nice gun, congrads!

·
Registered
995 Posts
You might try searching D. D. Davison or other variations like D. D. Davidson and P. D. Davidson. You can see where he started to spell Idho and then changed it to Idaho, so maybe he wasn't the best speller. Very nice case colors on that gun too.

·
Premium Member
19,233 Posts
I used to travel to Brigham City, UT (north of Ogden)when I worked for the government to visit Thiokol where solid rockets were built about 50 miles west of Brigham City in the highland desert. During that period of our history (1920's) people from Southern Idaho probably made trips into Northern Utah to shop for supplies, including guns. A trip to shop at Browning Brothers was probably a real treat.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Folks from southern Idaho still head south to SLC and the "big city". Boise and SLC are still the largest cities in the area. Interesting to note the gun was a shipment of 1 in 1927. The SAA was long obsolete by then and cheap. The caliber would do a workman's chores. Ammo was cheap by comparison to the larger calibers and easier to pack around.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Folks from southern Idaho still head south to SLC and the "big city". Boise and SLC are still the largest cities in the area. Interesting to note the gun was a shipment of 1 in 1927. The SAA was long obsolete by then and cheap. The caliber would do a workman's chores. Ammo was cheap by comparison to the larger calibers and easier to pack around.
You are right, it probably was a "working gun" and no show piece... but who carried it....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice going Schuren (Peter) That’s a good looking piece.
Kind words, Bill, but it was overpriced and I was bit stupid... it was learning the hard way.
That's why I hope some famous owner will add a bit of interest to this revolver..
No, the owner may have been a poor guy who had difficulties spelling Idaho. But I love a story. And a Colt with a story ... I am sure you know what I mean.
Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don’t know what you paid; but I’d consider a first generation Colt in working condition with the history you have already uncovered to be a treasure.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
A really quick search on the internet reveals that there is a David P Davison listed in the 1940 Census. He was born in Nebraska in 1907 and resided in Wilson, Owyhee, Idaho in 1940. Of course, he could have been in Idaho 9 yrs previously in 1931.

Indeed, he had a 9 yr old son in 1940 and a 24 year old wife. Maybe both married young and he settled there in 1931 and purchased a used SAA revolver as he started a family there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A really quick search on the internet reveals that there is a David P Davison listed in the 1940 Census. He was born in Nebraska in 1907 and resided in Wilson, Owyhee, Idaho in 1940. Of course, he could have been in Idaho 9 yrs previously in 1931.

Indeed, he had a 9 yr old son in 1940 and a 24 year old wife. Maybe both married young and he settled there in 1931 and purchased a used SAA revolver as he started a family there.
The Problem is: It is P. D. Davison or D.D. Davison...

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Nice work mrcvs!

Wilson in Owyhee Co, Idaho is just a few miles from me. Your gun and your story but by the look or those grips David's would be mine :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t know what you paid; but I’d consider a first generation Colt in working condition with the history you have already uncovered to be a treasure.
I paid a bit more than 3000 Dollars for it... that is too much for a late 1st Generation SAA with very little blue left. I did not inspect it but bought at the auction from rather bad pictures... that was stupid. But I learned the hard way. It will not happen again.
Peter

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That may be top-dollar but the colors do look nice and the gun looks right except for an altered front sight.
Kind words, Rick..but you would not have done it...1800 would have been enough 10 years ago.The front sight was a bit improved and is really nice to take aim.

I think someone used to shoot this revolver a lot. You can see a loss of blue inside the triggerguard from the moving trigger-finger. And it was no real "cowboy colt" as those show marks on the butt and here are none. People used them as hammers and alle my old SAAs that are not above 80% blue have those marks.
Peter

·
Registered
175 Posts
11 years ago I bought No. 350363, a 32-20 at an auction in Switzerland..
While it may have been expensive, its a nice looking gun for sure. I'd like to know how it got to Switzerland. It would be cool if it was taken there by that owner whose markings are in the grips. More likely sales among a list of owners, but one could certainly dream!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While it may have been expensive, its a nice looking gun for sure. I'd like to know how it got to Switzerland. It would be cool if it was taken there by that owner whose markings are in the grips. More likely sales among a list of owners, but one could certainly dream!
There are some serious Colt collectors in Europe and a lot of those guns made it across the ocean (and sometimes back). This is one of the pleasures of collecting: we are a worldwide community.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts