Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought long and hard about posting pictures of this and am compelled to say , " WARNING " viewers discretion is advised ! I admire and respect most comments my fellow members offer . So give it to me straight , what do you think . I was told it's called , Mexican stippling .
IMG_20200528_080333364~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_080552972~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_080722256~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_081109277~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_080635780~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_081020910~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_081510735~2.jpg
IMG_20200528_075253167~3.jpg

This was my dad's , he left it in my care when he passed . Sn# 341834 in 32 wcf , born 1921 . I admit I know nothing about engraving , so is this finish something I should be appreciating ? Please advise .

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I can't say that I'm a fan of the "engraving" on the gun but it has been in your family for quite a while and that history is important. Somebody obviously liked it well enough to either have it engraved or buy it like that.
I say clean it up (if necessary) and shoot it occasionally to honor your Dad and Uncle.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The gun is what it is. I am sure everyone wishes that it had not been stippled but it was. It can't be undone. Since it was handed down to you keep it and enjoy the thoughts associated with it. The box pictured is much later then the gun. The gun shows little use and has no pitting in the metal. Possibly refinished by Colt and returned in the pictured box circa 1980s then stippled.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gun is what it is. I am sure everyone wishes that it had not been stippled but it was. It can't be undone. Since it was handed down to you keep it and enjoy the thoughts associated with it. The box pictured is much later then the gun. The gun shows little use and has no pitting in the metal. Possibly refinished by Colt and returned in the pictured box circa 1980s then stippled.
That's a good possibility , the ends of the box are not marked with any kind of informational sticker . Maybe I should send for a letter . Thanks Mikebiker

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Don't think of it as being 'stippled' - that's a modern-day term - think of it as 'punch-dot engraving' like you'll see on the old Merwin, Hulbert revolvers.

It wasn't/isn't everyone's cup of tea, but made the original owner smile when he owned it, and given who that was, it should make you smile as well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I thought long and hard about posting pictures of this and am compelled to say , " WARNING " viewers discretion is advised ! I admire and respect most comments my fellow members offer . So give it to me straight , what do you think . I was told it's called , Mexican stippling . View attachment 701403 View attachment 701404 View attachment 701405 View attachment 701406 View attachment 701407 View attachment 701408 View attachment 701409 View attachment 701410
This was my dad's , he left it in my care when he passed . Sn# 341834 in 32 wcf , born 1921 . I admit I know nothing about engraving , so is this finish something I should be appreciating ? Please advise .
Someone with far more Time than Talent did that. But hey, take heart!! Remember that Colt SAA that someone "engraved" with a file? So now your gun is beautiful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being that it was your father's and you know the history of the gun there is no way I would sell it. Someone would have to offer some really stupid money and I mean really stupid for me to part with it. I'm talking about life-changing money baring that I would put it in a trust and make sure it stayed in the family long down the road. Family heirlooms are just that, they belong to the family, not a single person. A single person may be in possession of the item at any given time but it is not that persons to sell or give away. At least that's the way it is in my eyes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being that it was your father's and you know the history of the gun there is no way I would sell it. Someone would have to offer some really stupid money and I mean really stupid for me to part with it. I'm talking about life-changing money baring that I would put it in a trust and make sure it stayed in the family long down the road. Family heirlooms are just that, they belong to the family, not a single person. A single person may be in possession of the item at any given time but it is not that persons to sell or give away. At least that's the way it is in my eyes.
Actually, I am more interested in trying to understand why someone would Punch-Dot over the patent dates and Rampant Colt . That !! Is desicereation ! I guess that they didn't have access to a wire wheel or a grinder at the time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would love to own a Colt SAA that was my father's or grandfathers. I'm not a fan of the punch-dot engraving however if I owned it I would then be very proud to say look what I have.
Reminds me of a 1973 corvette. I always hated that they only had 1 chrome bumper until the day I bought one. Then I proudly talked about how rare they are etc.
Congrats on owning a very cool family heirloom.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts