Colt Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Odds are Uncle did it as a presentation.
I wish Unc did do it , he was an artist . Although he looked at things in a different light , he would have never defaced the natural beauty of a Colt or any gun for that matter . I could not always see or understand his vision , just tried to appreciate it .

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Don't worry about putting your foot in your mouth...we've all been there. The Colt Forum is one of the most polite and respectful forms going...thanks in no small part to the moderator. I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about Colts before learning about the Colt Forum...I read a lot and had no idea what I was reading was very often wrong...and the wrong information was being repeated by others and accepted as fact. I have learned so much from the members here...guys who have spent much of their lives learning this knowledge the hard way...by research or through personal experience.

Don't hesitate to participate and enjoy. We're all here to share and learn.
Well thanks very much, I appreciate the comment and from now on I'll remember your point about being polite and respectful. And I do realize I have a long way to go and volumes to read and much to learn.
Cboy 🤠

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish Unc did do it , he was an artist . Although he looked at things in a different light , he would have never defaced the natural beauty of a Colt or any gun for that matter . I could not always see or understand his vision , just tried to appreciate it .
The real question is whether its defaced or enhanced? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Was it done by some green horn, whilst holed up in a line shack, killing time during a winter stint? What did your Uncle think of it when he bought or traded for it? How did your Dad feel about his Brother's gift? So many questions come to mind. And all our thoughts are but our opinions. And opinions are like underwear, most people will have them. And many are like underwear, full of fecal matter. To me, it was once a Brother's caring gift, handed down with a Father's love.

Just my two pence, feel free to agree that we disagree, should you feel otherwise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BayouOgre, I think you've hit the nail on the head. No matter what it is or what condition, it is a gift passed down through the FAMILY with love. I only wish I could have some of the old guns I know were in the family that got passed on to some of my cousins who stayed in New England while I while away my time in the Air Force half way across the country or overseas. Some of them were kept and will be passed on to another generation, I hope they appreciate them for what they are. Some were quick cash, a couple of which I would've been more than glad to pay twice what they got for them. Oh well. Treasure each gift passed down to you, and pass it on to your progeny when you're done, hopefully with whatever family history you can.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts