Colt Forum banner

SAA - UGLY !! Plain and simple !

5K views 48 replies 32 participants last post by  Pthfndr985 
#1 ·
I thought long and hard about posting pictures of this and am compelled to say , " WARNING " viewers discretion is advised ! I admire and respect most comments my fellow members offer . So give it to me straight , what do you think . I was told it's called , Mexican stippling .
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Shotgun Metal
Revolver
Revolver Shotgun
Green Wood Tree Trunk Number

This was my dad's , he left it in my care when he passed . Sn# 341834 in 32 wcf , born 1921 . I admit I know nothing about engraving , so is this finish something I should be appreciating ? Please advise .

See less See more
#4 ·
I can't say that I'm a fan of the "engraving" on the gun but it has been in your family for quite a while and that history is important. Somebody obviously liked it well enough to either have it engraved or buy it like that.
I say clean it up (if necessary) and shoot it occasionally to honor your Dad and Uncle.

#7 ·
The gun is what it is. I am sure everyone wishes that it had not been stippled but it was. It can't be undone. Since it was handed down to you keep it and enjoy the thoughts associated with it. The box pictured is much later then the gun. The gun shows little use and has no pitting in the metal. Possibly refinished by Colt and returned in the pictured box circa 1980s then stippled.

#15 ·
Being that it was your father's and you know the history of the gun there is no way I would sell it. Someone would have to offer some really stupid money and I mean really stupid for me to part with it. I'm talking about life-changing money baring that I would put it in a trust and make sure it stayed in the family long down the road. Family heirlooms are just that, they belong to the family, not a single person. A single person may be in possession of the item at any given time but it is not that persons to sell or give away. At least that's the way it is in my eyes.

#17 ·
I would love to own a Colt SAA that was my father's or grandfathers. I'm not a fan of the punch-dot engraving however if I owned it I would then be very proud to say look what I have.
Reminds me of a 1973 corvette. I always hated that they only had 1 chrome bumper until the day I bought one. Then I proudly talked about how rare they are etc.
Congrats on owning a very cool family heirloom.

#21 ·
I think it is really cool that you have something of your fathers so my advice is to cherish that Ugly thing (as you put it) I would shoot the snot out of it and not look at it.

Side story: My father died when I was nine years old and when he passed away my Mom and him were separated. Believe it or not my father played the harmonica and had a large collection of them. All I wanted as a nine year old was to have one of his harmonicas. Before we could get through his funeral and settle down, some older greedy relatives basically went in and emptied the house that he lived in of any collectibles and mementos so I never got a chance to get one of the harmonicas he owned and played.

#23 ·
Please bring that COLT back to it's original work of art! It would be like having a PORSCHE with dents all over it , would you drive it like that or repair it?
If you can sand wood you can sand steel! First take good pictures showing the lettering and etc. These
can be re rolled Disassemble the sad state of affairs don,t save the screws buy new ones.
Replace the trigger guard and back straps with the old screws. If you can remove the barrel that much better. Use a wood block for the flat surfaces and a rubber block for the round surfaces and a wood dowel for the flutes on the cylinder. It looks like the punch marks are about 1/64" to 1/32" deep.
Start sanding with 80 g sandpaper and work to 220, 400, 600, 2000 g paper. The finish will look like bright nickel Don"t worry about all the that material gone! It will be just fine. You could keep it in the steel color or blue it.When done you can put it on your desk and admire both your work and the authentic work of COLT.

#25 ·
Please bring that COLT back to it's original work of art! It would be like having a PORSCHE with dents all over it , would you drive it like that or repair it?
If you can sand wood you can sand steel! First take good pictures showing the lettering and etc. These
can be re rolled Disassemble the sad state of affairs don,t save the screws buy new ones.
Replace the trigger guard and back straps with the old screws. If you can remove the barrel that much better. Use a wood block for the flat surfaces and a rubber block for the round surfaces and a wood dowel for the flutes on the cylinder. It looks like the punch marks are about 1/64" to 1/32" deep.
Start sanding with 80 g sandpaper and work to 220, 400, 600, 2000 g paper. The finish will look like bright nickel Don"t worry about all the that material gone! It will be just fine. You could keep it in the steel color or blue it.When done you can put it on your desk and admire both your work and the authentic work of COLT.
Thanks for the advice I think I will send so much lead through the barrel that the friction will heat the metal smooth .

#30 ·
That would be the bottom one . If the thought ever did cross my mind , I would like to think one of my friends would take pitty on me and shoot me with it.
Furniture Wood Table Floor Room
actually , I was looking at the thread about Pearl and ivory grips . Those guns are magnificent to say the least . I ordered a Colt letter for " Ugly " and maybe a set of new stocks are in order . Any suggestions would be appreciated .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.