Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SAA in 38 colt that is US marked. I always thought that all of the US marked guns were chambered in 45. So my question is was there ever an US guns chambered in 38 colt or was this something that was done later by someone else? Also does anybody have any idea of value of this?

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
You are correct in thinking that all US SAA's are in .45. Looks like someone converted an Artillery to .38LC.

As is, value won't be that high, even with US frame. Unless someone had the .45 barrel & cylinder & correct basepin to put it back. What is the # on the backstrap?

Is it just the camera angle or do those grips look weird/fat?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
If that frame # starts with a "2," it's a problem. Can't make it out.
It's a artillery model that someone's changed the barrel and cylinder.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
It starts with a 3. Any idea of value of it?
3, would be right for a JTC gun.
Sell the barrel and cylinder on e-bay.

Some will question my ethics and I don't want to start a debate but were it mine, I'd buy a US barrel and cylinder to replace the 'replacements." It would not be "authentic" but would be correct in that it had mixed numbers and US parts. Not meant to deceive but to make more "correct." If I ever sold I would make full disclosure to a prospective buyer.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
3, would be right for a JTC gun.
Sell the barrel and cylinder on e-bay.

Some will question my ethics and I don't want to start a debate but were it mine, I'd buy a US barrel and cylinder to replace the 'replacements." It would not be "authentic" but would be correct in that it had mixed numbers and US parts. Not meant to deceive but to make more "correct." If I ever sold I would make full disclosure to a prospective buyer.
I'd probably do the same thing...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Can you tell what has been done to the frame forward of the patent dates and in the same place on the opposite side of the frame? It looks like a weld repair?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.