Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Handgun holster Tan Brown Leather Footwear
Have a couple early gen SAA's like new in box. want to send one out to have ivories installed and engraved or should i find a first gen gun in much lesser condition to do this too????? Second Colt doing the work is out due to time it would take. So that leaves two i know that can do the work Turnbull or Nutmeg. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK or does anyone suggest others to do the work ..

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
One looks to be 5 1/2"s. The other 7 1/2" as the holster indicates? A big factor is which one do you want all the work done? Its all a matter of your indivigal taste and you said you will be shooting the other. Which one do you want to really be shooting and putting wear on as most normal people will make the dressed up one as more of a safe queen. All boils down to money and taste. Satisfy yourself, not what someone else thinks.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Are those second generation guns? If so, I would NOT have either gun engraved. NIB second generation SAAs are extremely collectible. Find and old beater or a current production gun for engraving, but not your second generation guns. Nutmeg does excellent ivory. Dress them up, but don't permanently alter them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Are those second generation guns? If so, I would NOT have either gun engraved. NIB second generation SAAs are extremely collectible. Find and old beater or a current production gun for engraving, but not your second generation guns. Nutmeg does excellent ivory. Dress them up, but don't permanently alter them.
I agree with Hopalong, only Id have Jerry Meacham do the Ivories, I just received a set back from Mr Meacham and they rival that beautiful set Matchlock is lucky enough to own.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I also agree with Hopalong. Don't change your 2nd Gen guns. Get a 3rd Gen or older beater for the work you desire. You may have already seen my consecutive pair that Jim Alaimo at Nutmeg did for me. Ivories and action work by Jim, engraving by Jerome Harper and color case and bluing Doug Turnbull. Best part was that the work was completed in just two months.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
both early second gen guns mint . So far I agree with you and Hopalong . these are like new one 45 and one 44 Special in boxes. Had a mint 1919 GUN BUT SOLD IT. Would never do that one . looking for a first gen with very good bore to do it up but have not found one local. Know anyone with one let me know .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.