Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching some guns I am interested in both Colt and Smith and it hit me today that the prices may have finally reached a point that I am about out of the game and I have a good job.Now what about younger collectors? I in my mid 50's where are the mid 30's collectors.My collector guns are just that.They will never be shot by me.If I want to shot I buy a shooter.There is an upper limit for most people and I think we are getting very close.Guns may be like gas,no matter the price someone will pay for it.I guess I must include myself in that catagory sometimes but I am getting a lot more picky now.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Collecting doesn't mean you have to have pristine specimens with premium price tags. You set your own goals and the depth of your pockets will be a big part in determining whether or not you can achieve those goals. You can also upgrade. If you have an example of one gun that you could afford at the time then later run across another that's in better shape you can use the first one to help finance the better specimen.
Now if your collection has to be NIB unturned specimens then yes you best have very deep pockets, but there are more than one way to look at collecting.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Majic! I was at the gunshop the other day and this guy, a casual acquaintance, (older guy, I'd peg him as wealthy) sort-of remarked that it was a waste of time to be buying Colts that weren't NIB. Maybe I read him wrong....I just let the comment go but started thinking about it later.

I buy guns that appeal to me. Not for investment value. I don't require perfection, although I do have a couple NIB Colts. If I can't afford it, I pass. If I just have to have it, I'll find a way. I do a lot of dreaming!

On the other hand, I wish some of you guys would ease up on the bidding. It would sure help my wallet!

·
Registered
810 Posts
BHH, sadly thats what it is coming to. The internet makes any and all guns available to anyone out there not near a gun shop, or a gun show or even a "gun friendly state", so they can bid on anything and then all it takes is two people interested in the same thing!
As they say , I'm to the point where I will sit up on the porch , with a few others and watch the "big dogs run".
Yes, it takes all kinds to make the world go round and some of these "high rollers" will not even give a "second look" at some other nice/decent stuff, unboxed maybe, that is still out there. Good , that leaves a bit for the rest of us.....................
(there is still plenty out there too!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
Im 29 and I hope things level out a little. I used to save up and purchase in spurts. Now it seems I am constantly re-evaluating some of my puchases over the years ( non colts ) and I now usually move one of these in addition to saving up. Now it seems that if you bring a real minty piece to the gun show the retards at some of the tables in Ohio seem to jump at the opportunity to ask to fondle 'em and give em back. If they offer, its an insult. I know Im young, but I know what's going on. I think my next move is to get a table at the next show, set my prices, put up a big sign that says do not handle, and see what happens......

I hope to squeak a new addition or two behind the wifes back soon. If she finds out Im skimming cash while our house is going up, Im a dead man!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am trying to sort out what you are all saying.

There are folks that collect guns, in our case revolvers because we love the fun, and challange of it. We mostly collect 98% or better when we can. We also have a lot of shooters like old Officers Models that have been shot, and we shoot them.

In the last two weeks we found two revolvers that were bought for under $500.00 that are worth at least $1,500.00. They are still out there in gun, and pawn shops all over the country. You do have to know what to look for.

I am past normal retirement age, and and am very aware of the fact that they do not come to you! You gotta go flip rocks.

Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice post bowhunter.Glad to see a young guy chasing some good guns.You are in the minority.I am 52 and it seems I am more picky now than in my younger days.And I am like some others I do not need the box to make the gun nice.In truth the boxes are rarer than the guns.Guns are steel and boxes are cardboard or plastic and tend to get tossed in the trash.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
I agree the national market created by the Internet has reduced the chances of getting a bargain, but the rest is all relative. The best guns have always been expensive. Guns have traditionally stayed even with or ahead of inflation, so it is natural for them to keep going up in price. For instance, thirty to forty years ago, I had to stretch my gun budget to buy a gun worth a few hundred dollars that today is worth maybe a few thousand. Were I to buy that same gun today, it would take the same budget stretch.

Were life the way it should be, we all would have inherited all the new-in-the-box guns that we seek and we would not have to worry about buying any! Since that did not happen, we have to make choices about what we can afford.

As far as the younger collectors, they will do what they have always done. Buy guns they can afford. Since Single Actions have always been expensive, I never bought many and instead bought other models, like automatics and the like. Now, a new collector may have to start with newer guns and Mark III and Mark V revolvers and the like (NOT Boas however!), which may then become the down payments on "better" guns as they are passed on to yet another generation of new collectors for whom they will be an upgrade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like to collect military guns so NIB or 98% condition is rarely seen and usually unaffordable. So I buy lesser examples and am satisfied. I like them to look like they have tales to tell not hidden away in a desk drawer for decades. I also like the pistol belts, holsters and pouches that go with them. Just another facet of collecting I suppose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Out of college with an ROTC Commission I did 2 Cold War years in West Germany armed with a 1911A1. I returned to the States in 1964, joined a Reserve unit and was tasked to start a pistol team for the unit. We practiced at a local National Guard Armory indoor range using rack 1911s and the first gun in my collection a .22 LR Hi Standard bull barrel pistol with 1911 military style grip. The 2nd gun, I bought from an ex college roommate. His new blue 6" Python's grip was too big for his hand. For $95 I got the snake, 44 remaining rounds of his first box of ammo and a Hunter holster. That was the start and I had no idea the hoard would ultimately be as extensive as it has become 50+ years later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think it gets like this will most things no longer produced and become collectable. Ive always loved firearms, so when I see anything cheap at yard sales or swap meets, I'll pick it up. my collection isn't any particular make or model, just a variety of guns from revolvers, bolt action surplus rifles to AKs and ARs. I think ive got 3 guns technically new, never shot a 1989 SKS D model, a Romanian RPK, and a romanian PSL i had built. I have a few beater old colt revolvers, stuff a collector wouldn't be interested, but it got me interested in colt revolvers enough to join this forum to learn more.
And speaking of prices getting out of hand. I'm also a car nut, try finding a 66 or a 70 chevelle for what might be considered affordable today. jim

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I'd like to say I buy what I can afford, but I don't. That means I buy what I like, but I temper my addiction with a good dose of financial responsibility.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I'm also a car nut, try finding a 66 or a 70 chevelle for what might be considered affordable today. jim
Should have been buying them in the late 70’s to mid 80’s. They were basically giving them away, just like M1 carbines in the 1960’s and SKS rifles in the 90’s.

·
Registered
416 Posts
thru the 80s I was buying complete chevelle, camaro el camini bodies for 100 to 200 bucks and parting them out. cars that we would put back together today. my 70 got parted out in 2005, I bought what was left with a title for 200 bucks, got 80% ofbwhat i needed from a 4 door parts car and been having fun with it ever since (454 4 speed 12 bolt rear). jim

·
Registered
50 Posts
We are lucky to have a local company that specializes in on-line gun, knife and militaria auctions. I have bought and sold quite a few of these items through them over the last several years. This past week they had a superb knife auction, several of which I was interested in. The high bids on some of these items was crazy high, bringing prices twice as high as what I would have thought reasonable. The same type items that I could frequently be high bidder on just one year ago, are now WAY out of my price range. I think CV-19 has a lot of folks cooped up, bored, not spending dollars on travel and vacations, and they are redirecting those dollars at these type of on-line sales. Good for them, sellers, the auction companies, and my savings account.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It is sorta funny to see that this 14.5 year old Zombie thread has been resurrected. The original poster was unhappy that 2006 prices had reached his upper limit, as happens to all of us on occasion. Today, most of us would consider those 2006 prices to be a bargain. And the guys who bought the high condition guns in 2006 would be pleased to see the increased values on those same guns today. Someday those same guys (or their heirs) will all be sellers. It is all relative. Just my two cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts