Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all...anybody ever dealt with a MS Safari Arms 1911 slide that is threaded for a threaded bushing? I have one and getting the bushing to stop a "6 o'clock" is just a matter of some work with a Dremel tool. But I can't see how even a real good smith could fit the front sight without boogering up the threads....cut off the tenon and silver solder it on?
chc

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,074 Posts
These days, silver soldering front sights is usually no longer considered a valid way to mount a sight.
This was used back in the day when slides had the narrow tenon sight and people were installing huge combat or target sights that just wouldn't hold due to the mass of the sight.
The 1100 degree red heat needed to silver solder may not exactly damage a slide, but it sure doesn't help it any.
Any time you can NOT silver solder is better.

In your case, a better technique would be a modification of the normal method of mounting a sight with a tenon.
That method is to grind a small countersink on the underside of the tenon hole inside the slide. This gives the tenon room to flow down down into the countersink so when the excess tenon is ground off, there's still enough rivet left to hold the sight.

In this case, I'd grind a deeper countersink to allow riveting the tenon below the threads and deep enough that little or no grinding of any excess rivet is necessary. If any is needed, just use the same carbide ball grinder that was used to cut the countersink.
This will probably not cause any distortion of the threads, and as long as you have everything below the threads, the bushing should screw on.
Remember too, that most sight tenons are longer then they need to be to allow fitting to a slide. Before riveting you may need to grind off some of the tenon to get a good rivet without an excess amount left and needing to be removed.

Option two is to have a dovetail cut on the slide and use a dovetailed sight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts