Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nickel-plated Colt New Service I bought at a Texas auction on-line came in and when I went to pick up the gun neither the FFL dealer store clerks, nor I, could get the cylinder latch to move to open the cylinder. When I got home, I pushed on it and pushed and it grudgingly opened. I assume it just had not been moved in eons, since Christ was a corporal, and had just frozen in position. Possibly there some gunk clogging it up in there.

Normally, I'd give it a shot of WD-40, then escalate to Break Free, if that didn't work, but I seem to remember hearing that Hoppes No. 9 destroys nickel finishes, so what about other lubricants/cleaners? What is safe on nickel?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Look for something that doesn't have ammonia in it. Hoppe's does make one but it's not their longtime standard gun cleaner.

Probably the best penetrating oil is Kroil.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I've used Hoppes #9 for years on nickel finished colt's and never had a problem but I do not soak them in it. Just clean and wipe it out with a dry patch. For your sticky cylinder release I would spray it breakfree clp then wipe off the excess. Never use WD40 on your firearm. After cleaning just wipe it down with a silicone cloth.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
I agree, use CLP. There is probably some old, hardened grease in there, and the CLP will soften it up. Not as good as Hoppes, but I wouldn't use that. If you leave some CLP in the interior, it won't hurt anything, and metal on metal parts need some oil to prevent wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts