Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some tips for storing firearms in a safe while preserving the condition of the piece, while still being able to use as much space as possible. Do orig boxes take up too much room? Are soft-shelled, zippered gun sleeves or cases, a bad idea. Anyone know of a efficient rack system that allows maximum space utilization, and ease of access? How about those door mounted pistol racks, anyone have one? Its winter and I thought I'd create some conversation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I seen a article where a guy had a house fire and he had 4 of his long guns in silicon gun socks and they were the only ones that survived,needless to say I went right out and got me a bunch as they help prevent safe dings also. JMHO clint

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
You could say you were just testing my memory /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Actually, as a result of that post I bought some Bore Stores and think they're really neat. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
BTW I just keep a container of Damp Rid in my safe.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a Bore Store for every firearm I own and keep them in the safe with a Goldenrod. Bore Stores are supposed to be good for about three years. We have an excellent humidity level here and they are likely to be okay in the safe for much longer. Anyone with humidity issues would probably be wise to use the vapor paper and special bags for long term storage.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright now does anyone have any organizational tips. Are there any economical storage rack type systems for the inside? All the ones I've seen take up too much space and IMO impractical. I've got a few well packed shelves with Orig box items, but the rest seems just way to disorganized. One improvement I made recently was lining the interior of the safe with rope lite. A few bucks at the hardware store, and now I can see everything. I used to have some dingy old lights in there that were almost of no help.

Anyone have one of those door mounted pistol racks? They seem like a good way to free up some space.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i keep my handguns in those plastic doskcill cases,in most cases you can get 2 guns in one box. these can also be tagged with whats inside so you dont have to look thru them all to find a certian gun.i keep my original factory boxes in a seperate place as they quickly begin to show wear if handled much. the doskcill cases will stack very nicely on the top shelf of my safe.my safe is kept in a locked interior closet in the basement,this gives me double wall protection from temp changes and i have not had any moisture problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also use Bore Stores for all of my collectable guns. The BS has the virtue of being very protective against dings AND you don't get rub wear either. Often, when someone refers to "holster wear" they are actually seeing rub marks from years of storage in the factory box! I attach a tag to each BS giving all the details on each gun. Then, to prevent chaos, I place all my Pythons or Model 27s in a Rubbermaid-type plastic box and label it. These boxes sit on shelves in the safe, slide out easily and protect the guns even more. This was the best idea I could devise to protect and organize my 'group' /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also recently bt. a second safe and converted the entire space to shelving.

Keep your factory boxes, tools, papers, etc separately stored so both guns and boxes retain value.

Bob.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rubbermaid boxes, sounds like a good idea. That sounds like the best way to make use of all the space a shelf has.

The second safe will prob happen when we build our house.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I feel it's better that they can breathe so I wouldn't use the Rubbermaid idea.All rifles get a sock to prevent safe dings-learned the hard way.Most pistols are in a Boyt case with an ID tag attached.When I want to go the range,I can quickly pull just what I want and put it in a range bag.Some pistols are in the original cardboard box,some Smiths in the original plastic box(yes,they take too much room and don't breathe but no problems as they get wiped periodically).Don't have a Goldenrod but use dessicant packs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts