Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use a dehumidifier in you safe(s)? Is it necessary for safes that are kept in climate controlled areas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Ive never used one but I have heat on in the building all winter and the air conditioner all summer so I have no issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a tub of damp rid in my safe just to catch any moisture in the air, for $2.99 you cant go wrong. I also keep silica gel packs from the wife's shoe purchase in all my ammo cans. Been doing that for a long time and have had no problems with any rust or corrosion here in FL.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't use one and have never had a problem. A friend does and he hasn't had any problems either. But our humidity here is typically around 30% so..

·
Registered
907 Posts
I use a Goldenrod and silica dessicants. It's cheap insurance. I have seen too many guns with rust, especially internal rust, that were stored in "climate controlled" environments.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I don't have a guage to measure humidity but I have continually used the silica dessicant - cheap, reusable, insurance.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
Desiccants work best in a closed container, like electronic parts that are sealed with a pack of desiccant to take up and hold any moisture sealed in the bag. I don't think any gun safes are air tight, so air is continually being exchanged, especially when you open the door. Desiccants work on continually decreasing efficiency until they are dried out again. Forget to dry them out and you have no humidity protection.

I live in a very humid climate, and have never used anything but a GoldenRod. The idea is to keep the temperature in the safe two or three degrees warmer than the air outside the safe. Where humidity becomes a problem is when a safe in not kept in a heated and cooled area. If the guns cool off and then the air around them warms up, moisture condenses on the colder guns, and no amount of desiccant will prevent this.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
Well I have a small EVA DRY unit in my gun room....

The room is about 12' x 13' .....It pulls 2 liters of water a week....

I like it....RR

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
How many of you use a dehumidifier in you safe(s)? Is it necessary for safes that are kept in climate controlled areas? Thanks.
East Tennessee is a lot like Florida Tim, lots of humidity. I keep a dehumidifier in my safe room but also use dessicants like so many others here.

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm working with a carpenter who is building me a maple/birch cabinet for my guns. It's basically an armoire. The unique feature is that he is building it around a steel cabinet with a locking door. Unlike a safe, it probably won't be air tight; therefore, the interior air/moisture should hopefully balance with the room's air. The cabinet is going to be located in a climate-controlled room. In fact, it's probably the most efficient room in the house as far as getting the proper levels of air in summer and heat in winter.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I run a gel pack cannister and recharge it when it does the color change indicator thing.
It is cheap, and can't possibly do any harm.
There is other stuff you can stick in there as well, but i'm stickin' with the silica gel.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
climate control, dehumidifiers, silica gel, etc. whatever.
don't cut corners, just spend around 40 dollars and buy a goldenrod. it's better to have too much protection than not enough.
better safe (no pun intended) than sorry.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I live in a dry enviroment , never had a reason to use one. Never had any issues with moisture in the safe prior to moving to Az either.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi Tim;

I use a "Goldenrod" heater in all my safes. Are they necessary? I doubt is as I (like others here) have the air on all summer and the heat on all winter so the house is likely a good enough environment without them.

For the $20. or so cost of each of them, it's at least some comfort to know I'm doing something.

Regards Tim

Bud

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did a test with humidity gauges inside and outside my safe, and I found that using a desiccant inside the safe made virtually no difference in the humidity reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts