Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Army Special, 6" bbl, cal. 32-20, refinished/refurbed. The action's tight, & very smooth in both SA and DA. Serial #3390xx dates it to 1912.

It's passed inspection by a gunsmith, but I haven't taken it to the range yet.

The only factory load I've found in this caliber so far is Winchester Western, 100 gr. Lead, marked "Rifle or Handgun Cartridges" on the box. The code "X32201" is on the end flap.

Would this ammo be safe to use in this revolver, until I can get set up for reloading for it?

Thanks for any insight.

quidni? quia!

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
The Winchester loading you describe will be safe assuming the Colt is in solid working order . Years ago there were high velocity rifle loads . They were so marked on the box .
There are several companies loading lower pressure "cowboy" loads as well .

Enjoy that old Colt . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes,that ammo will be fine,but "pricey". There are also some "Cowboy Action" loads that are made by smaller firms that will be fine,and probably a little cheaper.

The 32/20 was originally made with 115 gr. lead bullets,so your Army Specialmight shoot a wee bit low.

When you get set up for reloading,let us know,and we can give you some tips,as the 32/20 can be a very "fussy" round to load,and get consistency from.

Bud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reassurances! I've got a range date with my son tomorrow after work, and the Colt is going with me.

I've been checking around, & so far the WW is the only brand I've found locally. Fortunately there's a gun show coming up in a couple weeks; I'll be shopping for dies & "parts" this time, as well as loaded ammo.

quidni? quia!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts