Colt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What a unique and cool looking Colt Detective Special. I wonder if the sandblasted nickel is the forerunner of electroless nickel? They look awfully close.
Yes, but it was about 10-years later after these were made when Colt started having some models finished in the Electroless Nickel. However, I would say that they are of the same finish as the Satin Nickel Colt Combat Commanders of the 70’s but called something different by Colt for whatever reason. I have three of the Satin Nickel Combat Commanders; 1971, 1972, and 1973. This so called Sand Blast Nickel looks identical to those.

EC960FA5-9CB9-48F1-98DE-B896F8B9965E.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Russ, Congratulations on finding that rare DS. You must have the MOST comprehensive and desirable DS collection in the USA. Keep on searching my friend. By the way, Did you or anyone on the forum get a lettered 3" pre war DS. I remember something about that a while back.
Thanks Hootch, I'm working on it... I remember something about a 3" Pre-War DS myself. I think Cam had the info on that one.

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I remember that Dirty Harry had a lettered pair of these back in the day. I bought them and after looking in person decided to return them as they weren't quite in the condition I was wanting but I do remember having them in my hands for a few days. Nice score!
I think DirtyHarry bought the pair that I linked to in my original post. I don't know where they are now...

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is a very pretty revolver, snakeman. I can only hope I find a unique and rare DS like that someday. Congrats on finally getting ahold of your own. You don't have to divulge what you paid for it, but I'm curious, what's the price range for a gun like that? Never even heard of sandblasted nickel til now, and it's only 1 of 100. That's definitely something special.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a very pretty revolver, snakeman. I can only hope I find a unique and rare DS like that someday. Congrats on finally getting ahold of your own. You don't have to divulge what you paid for it, but I'm curious, what's the price range for a gun like that? Never even heard of sandblasted nickel til now, and it's only 1 of 100. That's definitely something special.
I to saw snakeman’s colt, so I dug through my safe an sure enough I have one. I bought it new in 1971, still have the receipt , original box with all the colt papers. What a Colt!
I think I just might keep this one.
tomdonnell

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've only seen about 4 or 5 of these in total. The few offered for sale have ranged in asking price from $800 to $3500. The $3500 offering was for a consecutively numbered pair in their original boxes about 5 or 6 years ago, however the Detective Special market has taken quite a large drop in value (30-40%) since then. The one offered for $800 is currently on GI and has been there for over a month with no takers: Colt Detective Special 1971 MFG. for sale

Reactions: Spirit
21 - 28 of 28 Posts