Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 1973 vintage Combat Commander chambered in .45 acp with the "Colt Guard" satin nickel finish. The arched MSH has a lanyard loop that has the same finish. My question is this: Would the lanyard loop be factory original? Also, is there any process (bead blasting?) to hide/remove the "Idiot" scratch? What type/color grip panels would have originally been on this pistol from Colt? Thank You in advance for any info.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I don't think any post War Colt Model O pistols came with a lanyard loop MSH, except maybe some commemoratives.
A 1973 Combat Commander likely would have camr from Colt with the sandblasted walnut stocks with silver medallions.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
They didn't come with factory-installed lanyard loops, unless they were from some oddball police contract.

However, it's not too difficult to install a lanyard loop - it just involves drilling a hole, finding a GI lanyard loop and pin.

I know this, because I installed one on a flat mainspring housing from a Gold Cup, to use with my personal Government Model.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I have recently acquired a 1973 vintage Combat Commander chambered in .45 acp with the "Colt Guard" satin nickel finish. The arched MSH has a lanyard loop that has the same finish. My question is this: Would the lanyard loop be factory original? Also, is there any process (bead blasting?) to hide/remove the "Idiot" scratch? What type/color grip panels would have originally been on this pistol from Colt? Thank You in advance for any info.
Unfortunately, there's no way short of a total refinish to correct the scratch.
Gun finishes are thin and most are easy to seriously damage or even remove by attempts to bead blast or polish it out.
In other words; "that won't buff out".
A scratch is forever, unless you have it totally stripped and refinished.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the info. I recall reading somewhere that certain gun cleaning solvents are detrimental to this satin nickel finish. Is there any truth to this? Also,Here's some pics from an El Chepo camera. Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
20 Posts
RE: Idiot Scratch. I don't know why this is such a big deal. Its' so common to find a scratched gun that even my gunsmith ignores scratches. In the real world things get scratched. I like things perfect but I'm slowly getting to accept the fact that .... happens and its' not the end of the world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts