Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does one do on a Saturday evening, after receiving their beauftiful (like new) classic Colt Python?

Disassemble it, and ceramic stone the action, polish the hammer, and tune it to a crisp 3 lb single action ***, of course!

Warning: Image not healthy for those faint at heart! ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
Looks like torture to me. When I attempt something like this, I usually loose a small part on my cluttered workbench. I do such work out of necessity, not for fun. I envy people who can do such work for relaxation! Have fun.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
You have my admiration. I've popped the sideplate on a Trooper and OMT and broke out into a sweat when the OMT didn't seem to come back together correctly. Was as simple as the rebound lever having slipped out of position to the hand but I was bleeding bullets thinking I had ruined my revolver forever. I have since resorted to less invasive work unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compared to reassembling a Mark III revolver, the Python (or any V-mainspring Colt), is an absolute joy.
The sideplate slips back into place with finger pressure, and not one single internal part flys out of place.
A Mark III action on the other hand, has multiple tiny parts, and without using a piece of guitar "G" string to hold everything in place, it's almost impossible to re-fit the sideplate on the first attempt.
Another highly desireable attribute of the Colt V-mainspring actions, is that one needs not order any new springs, for tuning to a light target action.
I've long dreamed of the day where I could own a Colt Python! :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Compared to reassembling a Mark III revolver, the Python (or any V-mainspring Colt), is an absolute joy.The sideplate slips back into place with finger pressure, and not one single internal part flys out of place.A Mark III action on the other hand, has multiple tiny parts, and without using a piece of guitar "G" string to hold everything in place, it's almost impossible to re-fit the sideplate on the first attempt.Another highly desireable attribute of the Colt V-mainspring actions, is that one needs not order any new springs, for tuning to a light target action.I've long dreamed of the day where I could own a Colt Python! :cool:
Okay, I feel an anxiety attack coming on...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is good to see; a Python that's going to have a life outside of the safe.Best regards,
Yes, I must fire all My Colts.....though, I admit to having never fired My 44-40 New Frontier, which was only factory fired, and purchased brand new (old stock), from the original receiving Colt Dealer.

I didn't have any more lower profile white outline rear sight blades for Ruger or Accro Sights, so I ordered a complete white outline Kensight (Accro Copy), from Midway USA.
Since the Python's factory Accro sight was better polished/finished than the Kensight, I simply performed a 3 minute blade swap.
Also, I purchased a new Kensight Python ramp front blade from midway as well, and I plan on having that blade milled for a plastic insert, or I may file it, if the local smithy is too busy.
I'll either add a clear flourescent orange insert (Ithaca Raybar type), or I also have a good piece of extremely bright orange plastic, taken from a new brush handle.
Was even considering buying the plasticizing liquid and hardener from Amazon or elsewhere, then adding Testor's orange model paint as the coloring agent......per one of DFariswheel's excellent posts.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Yes, I must fire all My Colts.....though, I admit to having never fired My 44-40 New Frontier, which was only factory fired, and purchased brand new (old stock), from the original receiving Colt Dealer.

I didn't have any more lower profile white outline rear sight blades for Ruger or Accro Sights, so I ordered a complete white outline Kensight (Accro Copy), from Midway USA.
Since the Python's factory Accro sight was better polished/finished than the Kensight, I simply performed a 3 minute blade swap.
Also, I purchased a new Kensight Python ramp front blade from midway as well, and I plan on having that blade milled for a plastic insert, or I may file it, if the local smithy is too busy.
I'll either add a clear flourescent orange insert (Ithaca Raybar type), or I also have a good piece of extremely bright orange plastic, taken from a new brush handle.
Was even considering buying the plasticizing liquid and hardener from Amazon or elsewhere, then adding Testor's orange model paint as the coloring agent......per one of DFariswheel's excellent posts.
Some get anxiety attacks, at the mere thought of shooting a Colt.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Some of my hair turned white and most of the rest just fell out when I got all Einstein with an old PP .38 one time a while back.
Oh yes, dear reader, I was as bright and intelligent as they come, and heaven knows, that thing had about 80 years worth of the vilest, most nasty brown caked on crud ever seen in a lockwork. And I was just the man to fix it. Oh yeah, I sure was......
It reminded me of the time many years ago I needed to swap out a gearshift in my old (real old) beater pickup. I ended up drivin' that thing around for about 4 days with an upsided down & backward shift pattern, till I could devote extra hours to the issue.
The Colt took hours out of every day for about 2 weeks before I could make it run with the grip panels in place. Oh joy. What a wonderful experience. Now, this is the guy who dismantles everything if it is old and potentially grungy inside, and S&Ws and Rugers and any other whatnot with clunky, simple guts are as simple as they get.
Sorta like the difference between a Ducati & a Briggs & Stratton.
Now I am simply fearful of Colt guts in general, and will only go as far as is easy and stress free. And be aware, I have done other equally stupid things with a lot less wear & tear on myself.
So...... What is it that makes a man confident with the Colt lockwork? Some of 'em, ok... others are just plain scary. If had my Python in that many pieces, I might just go sit in a corner an cry.

ps. I am well equipped, shop-wise, and way more capable with guns that are more beat-up than with nice ones, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, Bro Oberon: Momma always said that I disassembled EVERYTHING, and until I knew it inside and out, there was no tellin' what was next.
FWIW: all of the Colt V-Spring actions are nearly identical in nomenclature.
Truly said, they are probably the most simple revolver mechanism, moreso than even a Smith & Wesson.
In My opinion, the Colt SAA mechanism is absolutely the most well designed, ingeniously simple, and absolutely foolproof design, ever imagined.
I've reassembled CO2 powered revolvers, which triply try a human's patience, when compared to the Colt designed actions, and those Ruger SA revolvers are not far behind, when hellish indignity has promugated itself. LOL!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very Cool Thread!! I purchased Mr. Kuhnhausen's manuals for the python and the MKIII types. I think my fathers nickel Python needs it's original lube changed. The cylinder release is sticky and difficult. The Python has only had about a hundred rounds through it. My MKIII needs the lube changed as well.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Well I was "goaded" into removing the side plate on my SAO Officers Model Match by a few ranking CF members.....

The scariest part was removing the screws....nothing jumped out and all went well....

Though I did not remove any parts of the action I did clean it and applied fresh lubricant :cool: :cool: :cool: RR

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My continuing Python saga.....I bought some custom stocks from John Culina on the West Coast, didn't receive those yet, but they are the H35 pair, smooth Circassian Walnut, with gold medallions.
I hymned and hawed about buying bonded ivory panels, though I settled on custom wood.
The factory stocks seem to be a mite smallish in diameter near the top, and with that heavy 8" barrel, they tend to slip from My arthritic grasp.
Of course, I'll keep those factory panels in the safe, for future consideration.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
My continuing Python saga.....I bought some custom stocks from John Culina on the West Coast, didn't receive those yet, but they are the H35 pair, smooth Circassian Walnut, with gold medallions.SOLD H35 Circassian Walnut $165 Photo by CulinaGrips | PhotobucketI hymned and hawed about buying bonded ivory panels, though I settled on custom wood.The factory stocks seem to be a mite smallish in diameter near the top, and with that heavy 8" barrel, they tend to slip from My arthritic grasp.Of course, I'll keep those factory panels in the safe, for future consideration.
Culinas were a great choice

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.