Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I personally don't think that gun is worth that kind of money but that is my opinion and what I feel about it. For someone who collects that type of gun or needs a great specimen for their collection, the gun is mint and in the original box. I would think its very hard to find. It may be a score to the collector. I never seen one with pearl grips.

Reactions: lkgmadmax and ei8ht

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally don't think that gun is worth that kind of money but that is my opinion and what I feel about it. For someone who collects that type of gun or needs a great specimen for their collection, the gun is mint and in the original box. I would think its very hard to find. It may be a score to the collector. I never seen one with pearl grips.
I've only seen them in the books specifically "Savage Pistols" by Bailey Brower.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Well...not only it is minty and has it's ( albeit, less than perfect ) Box...and has the very seldom seen MOP 'Factory' Stocks with Medallions, but...it is the Model of 1915, which are fairly scarce and command a premium just as themselves, so...it is a pretty amazing package.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I don't know much about them since I am not a collector of this type pistol but as stated it is in great shape and the grips are great as well. I know they had issues with them from what I have read but this would most likely be a safe stash so it wouldn't make a difference. If I was a collector of Savage it most definitely be a consideration and would look to make a deal with the seller but I don't know if I would pay high as that for such a pistol. It sure is pretty to look at.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I did also notice that it is a 380acp which I have never seen one before in this caliber. All I have seen have been in 32acp. So it must be rare in this caliber.

Reactions: ei8ht and lkgmadmax

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I don't know much about them since I am not a collector of this type pistol but as stated it is in great shape and the grips are great as well. I know they had issues with them from what I have read but this would most likely be a safe stash so it wouldn't make a difference...
Do you mean "they had issues with..." the pearl grips? The guns themselves are considered very reliable and well engineered.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did also notice that it is a 380acp which I have never seen one before in this caliber. All I have seen have been in 32acp. So it must be rare in this caliber.
Specifically in the model 1915 Savage 6200 were made in 32 caliber, 3900 in 380 caliber.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
The 'issues' they had involved the brittleness of the pearls.

Yes, .380 is the rarer caliber - note how much longer the barrel is when compared to the .32.

For 'me', that threw off the aesthetics, so the ones I owned, I sold or traded away.

The other rarity is the box - still happily deteriorating as they do - but still largely intact, and you just don't run across them.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
That is a rare and desirable package. But I think the sellers opening bid is about $750 too high. No bids so far. I would have started bids at about $2500 and see where it went, it very well may sell for $3500 or more.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The issue I was referring to was not in the grips of pearl. Pearl grips you have to be gentile with we all are aware of. I was referring to the firing pin on these guns. I read some where that the firing mechanism is not reliable and is known to break. How true that is I'm not sure of since I never owned one. Isn't the pin attached to the hammer?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
It was something I read along the years. Never owned one nor shot one to have any experience in them. They are pretty cool looking and looks like they would fit the hand well. I wonder why they stopped production of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts