Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Savage pistol Model 1915 which was purchased by the Standard Oil Company (Later to become Esso then Exxon) of New Jersey and was shipped to them on June 6th 1916. Several model 1907's purchased by the Standard Oil Company have surfaced in recent years and we know of at least one model 1917, this is the rarest of the three model Savage pistol models made and is the only one currently in known existence purchased for use by Security at Standard Oil.
*As side note Savage only produced 3900 of the model 1915 .380 caliber pistols.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
I don't have any Savage...yet.
Most excellent thread!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Sent from my Commodore Vic-20 using dial-up

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any Savage...yet.
Most excellent thread!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Sent from my Commodore Vic-20 using dial-up
ei8ht you need to find a nice one or a unique one!
They are so affordable.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Always like the looks of the Savage...and yours with the letter is an excellent piece of history.

I understand that a predecessor of your Savage in .45 ACP ran a good race in the new service pistol trails ( 1906-1910 ) that ended with the Colt being selected then adopted in 1911.

{ In the Tom Hanks Movie "Road to Perdition"...the villain photographer, Jude Law, who stalked Hanks character Mike Sullivan and his son... carried a Savage pistol. }

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Good to know that Savage is still doing the letters after John T. Callahan's retirement. I've got one from 2013. Looks like the same format Callahan used (including his first person :)), just different letterhead. How much are they charging these days?

{ In the Tom Hanks Movie "Road to Perdition"...the villain photographer, Jude Law, who stalked Hanks character Mike Sullivan and his son... carried a Savage pistol. }
Seeing a Savage in a movie or TV show is very rare. Just like the Remington 51. One of the reasons I loved "Boardwalk Empire" were the many period-appropriate guns (and very few mistakes over 5 seasons).

Toward the end of season 3, Richard Harrow lays out his arsenal, including in a box the three premier pocket autos of the day: a Remington, a Savage, a Colt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
The Savage, the Remington 51 and the 1903 Hammerless all so much more interesting than the homogenized cookie cutter polyguns of today.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know that Savage is still doing the letters after John T. Callahan's retirement. I've got one from 2013. Looks like the same format Callahan used (including his first person :)), just different letterhead. How much are they charging these days?

Seeing a Savage in a movie or TV show is very rare. Just like the Remington 51. One of the reasons I loved "Boardwalk Empire" were the many period-appropriate guns (and very few mistakes over 5 seasons).

Toward the end of season 3, Richard Harrow lays out his arsenal, including in a box the three premier pocket autos of the day: a Remington, a Savage, a Colt.
Savage letters to $35 each now.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Always like the looks of the Savage...and yours with the letter is an excellent piece of history.

I understand that a predecessor of your Savage in .45 ACP ran a good race in the new service pistol trails ( 1906-1910 ) that ended with the Colt being selected then adopted in 1911.

Thank you.

Regarding the Savage 45 trial pistol if you haven't seen this video it's certainly worth watching very informative. There are a couple of them on GunBroker now up for auction starting somewhere around 12-13k starting bids.

https://youtu.be/zLYOdvcnvkY

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to find a Model 1915 Savage. I have a Model 1907 in .32 and a Model 1917 in .380 now and keep my Side-Sweeping Gunshow Radar activated whenever I attend shows looking for nice examples of any Savage autos.
For the 1915 model 6200 were made in .32, 3900 in .380

1 - 16 of 16 Posts